Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Warrenty Voided?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 02:25 PM
Default Warrenty Voided?

I was wondering if i installed a cold air intake and a new eisenhaus exhaust on my car if the warrenty on my car would be voided and therfore not be ablt to get it serviced...please help

Old 01-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Default RE: Warrenty Voided?

Yes and No. The law say something to the point of. If you install an aftermarket park that is not warrantied by the car manufactuer and it fails, your not covered, also if it causes damaged to a warrantied part, ie MAS it is not covered. I waited until my warranty expired and installed a CAI.

However I did have a K&N air filter during the warranty and the MAS and a O2 sensor failed, they were both replaced under warranty with no hassle. But I know of some dealers who have seen a aftermarket Fram filter and refused to replace a MAS as Fram is not a Benz part. So, I guess it is catch as catch can.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:09 AM

So, I guess it is catch as catch can.
This is my experience too. If a dealer wants to make a stink about some aftermarket part, they can make your life miserable, but they may not be on legal ground. Something called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects people from car manufacturers voiding warranties because owners are useing aftermarket parts, and not OEM parts

Here is a link to a letter discussing this subject by K&N

Old 02-03-2006, 07:29 PM

For the dealership to turn down a warranty repair that 'may' have been caused by and aftermarket part, they must prove that the aftermarket part was indeed what caused the failure to the other component. That is the precedent that has been set in matters involving warranty work and aftermarket parts.

If the dealer cannot PROVE that the particular aftermarket part is what caused that particular failure, they are required to fix the problem. Dealerships have a very hard time proving that upgrades such as intakes, rims, exhausts, etc... cause particular failures. It is very timely and costly for a dealership to basically take apart an entire car and run test, and comparisons and so on, so often times, if you remind them of their duty of proof they fix the problem with no fuss (they bill it to Mercedes anyways, it doesn't cost a dealership to do warranty work).