Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

W202 Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Default W202 Transmission Fluid

My next project is to flush the tranny fluid on my 99 280.

We all now know for the fact that -- other than longevity, synthetic engine oil and dyno oil perform more or less the same; and that neither will ruin the engine.

How about the tranny fluid? Do I really have to put expensive Mercedes Benz fluid, or any good brand will do? (Say I promise to flush every 50k.)

Also...is flushing tranny fluid difficult and has some tricks? Or is it as simple as draining the oil out of engine?

About measuring the remaining fluid: can I just stick a chopstick? Or I must buy the thingie from MB?

One last question. How many quarts does my car take for tranny fluid?

Old 02-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Default RE: W202 Transmission Fluid

When your '99 came out, MB had the only fluid that should be used in the 722.6 transmission. Seven years later, companies like Red Line and BG Products claim to be compatible with the MB A\T Fluid. That said, I'd use the MB product. I recently had my changed with BG Products and the tranny seems louder and doesn't shift as sharply. It is probably OK, but I don't like the performance change. I'm going back to MB.. About the price: Stealership price is $20 litre and you'll need 7-8 litres. However, Importec sells the same product for under $10..
It is possible to change yourself, however, from what I understand, one must follow an explict procedure. Example, oil must be heated to 80 degrees C and fluid level is critical. Here is a DIY plan. But I'm not vouching for it.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:22 PM

do not use anythng other than mb trans fluid in your trans although aftermarket companys have claimed to have reproduced it there lying

Old 02-26-2006, 07:59 PM

From what I've been hearing....now I don't dare to put anything but MB tranny fluid.

But again, I am curious. A transmission fluid is a transmission fluid. If I put a name brand good quality fluid, is there any reason MB tranny would start to fail?

Is MB transmission design really absolutely different from most of the main-stream transmission designs that it demands special fluid?

Old 02-28-2006, 11:23 AM

A transmission fluid is a transmission fluid.
Sure, I mean, MB's transmission is made of "stuff of this earth" just like other transmissions, so if a fluid meets the lubricity, anti-foaming etc, requirments of the manufacturer, then it has to work. That said, not all formulations are the same and since I'm no expert, I'm sticking (or returning) to what I know works which is MB's fluid.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:03 AM

I did that flush myself and yes, use the MB ATF. I bought double the amount so if anyone need them, shoot me a pm.

The procedure is not hard, just be patience.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:45 PM

Still flirting with DIY job. You do have to follow some close instructions, but if you do a search on www.mercedesshop.com you will find several different articles like the one I posted before. I would read as many as you can. I am sure I left some stuff out, and others probably do as well, since we don't do these all day. So if you read several of them you cover all your bases. I cut and pasted several articles and checked them as my dad and I did it. However, if you don't have access to a lift I might just pony up the dough. When you consider the cost for filter and fluid and dipstick top it's not going to be that much extra. Just make triple sure that if your transmission pan does not have a magnet that the shop puts one in the corner of the pan. Most models with the sealed tranny don't have the magnets which is really stupid, so get one. I would only use MB's fluid period.