Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

used vs new c-class??? question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Default used vs new c-class??? question

I am considering buying a used c240 or a c280. Probably with between 20K and 50K miles on it, and anywhere from an '02 to an '06 model. This all depends on my financial situation at the time etc... Anyway, I just wanted to ask you experienced c-class owners about this. What kind of money might one have to put into a used c-class with this many miles on it. Would it be worth it? Or would I be better off just paying more for a brand new one? In other words, would it be worth just paying more money for a NEW one instead of saving money on a used one? Any information you can give me on this will be appreciated and useful. Thanx.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: used vs new c-class??? question

Excellent, excellent, excellent question.

I have been working on the same decision, and only havemeandering thoughts to offer.

While the new car, is approximately $30-35k US, I will not have to do any restoration work on it for four-five years or 100k miles. Yeah, there are service As and Bs, butthat will always be.

On the other hand, If I buy afour year old used one, I can get it for half price! But the down-side is,it is immediately ready for the timing belt change, tires, brakework, or whatever.

But if you are going to pay half price, then shouldn't you expect that the car would runas many more miles again?Why should you pay the same amount for the last half-life of the car as the original owner paid for the first half-life? Also there will surely be some repair and restoration during the last half-life. Is that fair?

If I buy it new, pay itout in four or five years, it will paid-off before any serious repair is needed. I don't like the $299 lease to purchase. Yeah its a low monthly, but if I keep the car it wont be paid-out until seven years, and then I will have repairs AND payments. I'm not doing that.

Here is something wierd. My CLK is actually having less repairs from 100k to 200k, than it had from 0 to 100k. How is that even possible? Did they get the bugs out? Will it die at 210k? Nobody knows? I guess regular oil changes help. I'm not trading it!

Ugh, Do I want the 07 C-class? The salesman never did say if it was OBD2 compatible. You see I just bought a new OBD2analyser and HHT for the CLK; it would be niceNOT to have tobuy new tools for the 07. I also hear that you cannot even change the brakepads withoutconnecting the car to a laptop, and I think that is a bunch of bologna! Maybe there is a way around it, but that issue has definatley halted the sale. I have'nt accepted ityet.

I almost want to wait until someone has driven the '07 for five years and 110 k miles, thenask them about the car before I buy. But then it will be 2012, and the '07s will no longer be available. How long will they hold a car for me?

Can I base the reliabilty of the '07 C-class on the reliability of the '00CLK which I bought last time? It had a rash of repairs just before 100k, but then it cleaned up and has been a cheap ride for another 100k.

So in conclusion, if you call itsuch. I don'tknow. I couln't begin to speculate.I'm sure I have been a greathelp. I'll let you know what I do.

Blue

Old 07-14-2007, 09:06 PM

If you are going to buy a new one, I would suggest you check out the newly redesigned 2008C-class. It's bigger, better, and looks more like the new S-Class. It will be a little more money but you'll have a brand new looking car for the next 7 years or so, rather than having a brand new 07 looking like the previous model when the 08 comes out in about a month. However, I think it's safe to say the 08 won't have the $300/mo lease rate.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 PM

I already considered the new '08 c-class and actually think it looks really neat. I like how it now takes after the s-class. But I like the W203 generation- mainly from the side and back. How could you want to replace those back lights? I really like the W204 from the front though. But think about being interested in a particular car... sometimes it's short-lived and you end up realizing that you really don't like that car after a few months. This is what happened to me with the W204, and I've always liked the W203 though. I don't have to have the newest-looking car- just as long as I like it. But remember BlueSilver, the W203 with 25K-40K miles on it is certainly not in it's second half of live at all... it's in its first 8th if you take care of it. It should last you a few hundred thousand miles. By the way what is OBD2 compatible?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:37 PM

You should be able to purchase 03-04 models at great prices. Even an 05 model depending on your budget.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 PM

Does anybody know anything about a yearly approximate (eyeballed) cost of owning with, let's say, 45K miles? Although estimating a yearly is probably too variable, so what about a 5-year approximate based on your experience as an owner?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 AM

2001 C240.
Purchased new in Sept 2000: $34,000. Extended Warranty for 100,000K and 5 years: $1,100. Total including 5% tax: $36,855

All weather Mats from dealer: $84. Very much worth it. Very durable with MB logos. Still look new after 7 years.

6 Disk Mercedes BenzBranded OEMCD changer from E-Bay: $425. (dealer wanted $1,200 installed). Dealer installation of CD changer: $145.

First four years:
* Regular services and repairs: $0. All oil changes and scheduled services included. All repairs under warranty, $0 deductible w/freeMB loaner.
* Brake pads: Bought front pads ($80) at a local MB mechanic's and sensors from the dealership ($40) and installed them myself.

Year 5: Gas gauge would not show full when tank was full. 1 repair under comprehensive dealer extended warranty. $0 deductible.

Year 6:
* I was not driving the car enough and after many three week periods of sitting in the garage, the battery died and had to be replaced. Except the computer system got confused when I tried to jump it. DON'T do that. Battery from Advance Auto Parts: $84. Repair cost: About $400. Lesson learned. Take it to the dealer. However, the repair included rear brake padsand sensors and, new batteries for electronic keys ($21). BTW, key batteries are $3 at Walmart.

Year 7:
Cannot stop A/C from blowing cold air from bottom vents. Stepping motors had to be replaced.
Read differential had been leaking oil extremely slowly for the past year or two. Perhaps one drop a week. I wanted it replaced so there would be nothing wrong with the car. They changed the gasket and the oil.
They also discovered that a transmission gasket had to be replaced. They changed it along with some front end bearings or rings or some similar part.
Total bill would have been about $1,300 but I paid $962 with a friends-and-family discount since a relative of mine now works for the dealer.

You also have to factor in the regular service intervals (Service A: About $250 and Service B: About $400). They alternate every 12,000 miles. You may be able to have it done a lot cheaper somewhere other than the dealer.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 AM

tabourj
Thanks for that info. That will definitely help me compare getting a used vs new c-class.

Does anybody know (although it is highly variable depending on individual car differences) what kind of maintenance costs to generally expect if I get a used C240 or C280 with anywhere from 30K to 50K miles on it? I know this can't be a straight forward answer, but any info at all is helpful.

Thanks