Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Stalling out

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Default Stalling out

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have been searching and got some good tips. But, I have to post my questions anyway, cause I'm not to sure of the answers are to my problems.

I already know I may be in the fault. I have a C280 1998. The service indicator popped up a while ago and I have not tuned it up as of yet.

First question is it necessary to have the dealer tune it up my car or can I do it myself. I've tuned up other makes, models and older cars, but never a Benz?

Wasn't sure if there was anything special require and if I needed to go to a dealer or buy special tools.

Second, car was in a left front accident and since then my left blinker light and electrical is having issues and wasn't sure if that’s causing my check engine light to come on? This is all related or at least I think so.

Third, The check engine light started to come on and then found out that it was because of the gas cap not being tighten all the way. With out a book and getting the codes I can't tell. I'm looking to get my hands on a book asap but I need whatever help I can get soon.

Idling problem:

My car has been idling below the 10 to sometimes 5-6 constantly going up and down when it feels like it. Just this weekend while coming to stop sign the car shut off on me. I was able to start it up several times and drive it till i came to another light or stop sign then it would stall again. Finally after the 6 time starting and shutting off the car would start but then died completely. After starting it If i step on the accelerator i wouldn't get any response and car would just die. I'll start it up and its starts and catches then dies immediately. Left it over night at a friends and this morning it stated right up and idling around 9-10.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:03 PM

Sounds like a classic fuel delivery problem. The engine is being starved for fuel, causing runability problems. Here's a few things to check:

Fuel pump - Voltmeter it if you have to to ensure there is power

Fuel filter - Shouldn't cause those symptoms, but might contribute to them.

Fuel tank - It's a long shot, but you might have something in your tank catching the feeder hose.

The other possibility is spark. What's going on with your distributor, spark plugs, wires, etc? I would check them all to rule them out. Good luck!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Default I'll check on it.

Sound like its one of them. Will get back to you on it. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Originally Posted by BigSkyBenz
Sounds like a classic fuel delivery problem. The engine is being starved for fuel, causing runability problems. Here's a few things to check:

Fuel pump - Voltmeter it if you have to to ensure there is power

Fuel filter - Shouldn't cause those symptoms, but might contribute to them.

Fuel tank - It's a long shot, but you might have something in your tank catching the feeder hose.

The other possibility is spark. What's going on with your distributor, spark plugs, wires, etc? I would check them all to rule them out. Good luck!