Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Default Speakers

Hello everyone, trying to help my Dad improve the stereo in his 2000 C-230K. Are the speakers a standard size in this car? Anyone know what size they are and can i swap in aftermarket speakers to improve the sound? Right now it sounds very flat and boring. Any help is very appreciated

Old 05-23-2006, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Speakers

it might have nine speakers on it and at least 4 kinds.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:56 AM

Sleepwalker is correct. According to what audio system came with the car, there could be 6 to 9 speakers. Is the car equipped with a Bose system. I have had several cars over the years with Bose speakers and they are their own speakers. That is Bose are designed for Bose, a Boston Acoustic might not fit where a Bose is mounted.

My 99 C280 came with Bose and the only speakers, that are " standard" are the door speakers, the other the dash top and the hat self AKA parcel shelf are priority Bose design. Once a upon a time Bose made their speakers with built in Amps. I had an Audi with this type of Bose system. A door replacement speaker was over $900. After 5 or 7 years the speakers/amps started to malfunction. I took the car to one of the best audio shops in this area. Long story short, they would have had to pull the speakers and replace with non amp'd speakers and mount and amp someplace in the car. Fnally the radio head started acting up. On this particular year Audi there was nothing aftermarket that would fit or work with the Bose. The dash opening would have to be cut, new speakers and this car was a wagon and had 10 speakers. the cost to replace the system was close to $3K, most of which was labor.

My mercedes and Bose equipped cars these days, have done away with the speaker amp setup and now they use a separate amp usually located somewhere in the trunk. But I am told this is a priority item also.

I would suggest you go to a audio shop with the car, the best one in your area and let them tell you what or what they can't do.

One other point. I bought the car new for my Xwife and the 10 years we owned it during the warranty and extended warranty, 3 or 4 of the Bose amp/ speakers were replaced under warranty, only to go bad again between 1 and 2 years.

Don't get me wrong, I love some Bose products. My C289 sound system is great. I also have a Bose Wave radio/CD player in my bedroom, which I think sounds better then the $6000 surround sound system in my den.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:01 PM

I dont think this car has Bose, it doesn't say Bose anywhere in the car

Old 05-24-2006, 03:35 PM

Go to your local dealer and give them the VIN number, a have your driver's license and registration with you. They can go into their computer's and tell U what system is installed.

My 99 C280 doesn't have BOSE on any of the speakers cover etc. But the previous owner kept the original window sticker. So I found out the easy way.