Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some help before I buy please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Default Some help before I buy please?

Hi
I am thinking about buying my first Mercedes and looking at either a Coupe C180K Evo Panoramic or the C200 Evo Panoramic, probably 2002/3 or 4 depending on what deal I can afford.
I am quite suprised at how cheap they are - is and have a few questions if I may?

Are they cheap for a specific reason? ie known faults after x number of years.

What should I be looking for when I view them? Any common rust areas etc

What are the downsides / upsides to owning a Mercedes?

Many thanks
Matt

Old 10-15-2009, 09:35 AM

No replies yet :-(
please help? I want to be a Mercedes owner!!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Talking

Matt> try this: try posting a new post with the subject as the car you are asking about. Then it may get an owner's attention right away. I know nothing of this car so I myself can't help you, but an owner might. Or not. Some cars break more often than others including the same year and model cars. Just like mine. When they do, as a Mercedes, they can be pricey to repair since parts aren't cheap and neither is labor. Comes with this type of car. When in doubt, have a certified mechanic look the car over before you buy. Pay a little now or a lot later after the sale. He can also look for rust for you. Sorry I can't be of more help. Be patient here...sometimes it takes a while to get the response you are looking for.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Exclamation ehh

i have an 07 c230 sport, naturally aspirated. the only thing i have heard about them little coupes was that when they were first introduced they were priced CHEAP. Lotta buyers led to more production n faults were over looked etc etc. they have since done away with a 4 cylinder forced induction, that should tell you something.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:51 PM

Just be prepared for everything to be rediculously expensive! So far I have not been impressed with my merc. I bought my 04 thinking I was getting quality and I couldn't have been more wrong

Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 AM

I have a C180k SE Coupe 2004 facelift, I have had it for just over a year and nothing has broken on it, I paid 8.5k for it (not cheap for me but may be for others) I have leather interior, 6 cd changer, heated seats parking sensors and full electrics. The only downside is when you have to replace parts, they can be expensive especially when done by MB. As my car is no longer under a warranty I take it my local mechanic who always sorts me out.
I must say the only downside for me is the above and the upside for me is being able to own a Merc!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 AM

I bought our 2002 C230 Sport Coupe brand new. The appeal was the shape and look as well as the cheapest price for a MB. The 2002 came with more standard equipment because it was the introduction year here in Canada. Several standard equipment items (full computer, auto dimming mirrors & Homelink) were offered later as extra cost options. It also came with an engine unique to that year. It was supercharged with 192 HP. We ordered the car with automatic, panoramic roof, black leather, CD changer, BOSE, heated seats, Bordeaux Red exterior. The C180 and C200 were not offered in Canada (only C230 and C320).
From the outset, we had a myriad of unusual problems but all of them were fixed with no questions asked under warranty. Since the warranty has expired and the problems have been fixed it has been a lot of fun to drive and relatively trouble-free. My wife loves it.
It, as well as all MBs, are relatively expensive to maintain although I have tried other repair sources over the years. A non-dealer may have cheaper labour rates but they often take longer to find and fix things vs the dealer whose staff have encountered most problems and can pinpoint and fix them in less time.
Car currently has 41,500km (25,700 mi). It has never been garaged or covered or been through a car wash but it has no sign of rust of any kind.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 AM

Thanks for your help. I am still looking for the perfect model with the exact spec / age / mileage that I want. I am not going to buy one just for the sake of it like I have done with previous cars, this time I am going to be patient!
Will post on here when I get it...

Old 11-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Default 05 c230

I have not had any major repairs except for the gas filler neck which somehow developed a hole and turned on the Check Engine light and as it was a few hundred miles out of factory warrantee (it still has Extended warrantee), the dealer was willing to pay for the part but not the labor, eventhough they told me it was not from misuse or hit anything. to me this is a defect which Mercedes is not willing to admit. This year the hood paint was completely oxidized and needed $1500 to repair, I was told that there were no damages on the hood but looked like it was painted before, this means that the dealer probably painted it when it was new, maybe a scratch when it was transported, again the dealer didn't admit to this and the $1500 came out of my pocket. Otherwise the only other thing I did to the car was changing the oil every 10k miles and replaced factory tires at 15k miles (they Michelins don't last too long I guess!) I now have 50k and still have about 3/4 of life left on the new tires.

Alan.