Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Single Windshield Wiper

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Default Single Windshield Wiper

Ive owned my 1997 C230 for a year and a half now, and I still cannot determine the German's reasonoing for having one single whindshield wiper? Does anyone know the real reason?

Thanks
Evan V

Old 07-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Default RE: Single Windshield Wiper

It looks cool when it's working and it's a way of making something more complicated than it has to be while trying to make it simpler.

Other than that, I dunno.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:36 PM

Mercedes engineers thought....
THERE MUST BE SOMEWAY TO OUTDO LEXUS.

That was the reason.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:59 PM

You answered your own questions the reason the german decided on a single wiper is because they are German. Think about that for a while and I think you will understand.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:59 PM

How 'bout because it's less intrusive to one's view?

Today is the first day I've seen it in action. My first impression is I notice it less than a dual wiper system. That's good.

My concern (and this goes for the rain sensing system as well) is the cost of repair should it go down. Generally, I like elegance and simplicity in mechanical design. This looks complex and expensive.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:01 PM

That is what I eluded to, the german strive to make the driving sensation, comfortable and safe, and a single wiper is less intrusive. The orientals strive to make cars with every gimmick they car thing of, then comfort and safety. IMHO

Old 07-08-2005, 09:19 PM

I notice mine more. It's interesting to watch on a boring rainy day. I can't take my eyes off of it. I keep thinking the whole contraption will just fly off the car on the next swipe... maybe taking the windshield with it.

It makes unique bug smear patterns.

I wonder how much MB spent designing the thing?

Old 07-09-2005, 01:08 PM

Yes, it is unique, but I've noticed in road racing most of the cars take off the passenger side wiper, Don't watch it too much when your driving, you might end up in someone's trunk. Almost happened to me when I first got the car.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:23 PM

I know the answer or atleast the official one!!!
dont ask me how but I know, not bad for someone
on thier 3rd day of MB ownership, check out my thread in New menbers....!!!

THe reason is safety, the single wiper is able to clear a vastor majority of the sceen,
I think from distant memory it is 90% or more, maybe 95, as you can tell it occilates up & down
on its movement to match the contours of the screen. As you may have noticed the
only bit un-touched is the very top corners & around the pivot, hence near perfect
clarity of vision!!!

logical thinking over, Mercedez had these in use since mid 80's & in my opinion as
im sure it is in yours too the thing is an absolute magic work of engineering
Art. I think its quite an archytypal symbol of the standard that used to be the
norm with MB. Power Safety Beauty Funcionality & most importantly Reliabity.

my father ownes a 1990 300D ( thats a 124 with a diesel engine) he bought if from
new, & has lived the past 8 years in the west coast of Ireland, ( world record holder for
most rain) think it was nearly every day for a year. Point is his wiper never flinched for a moment
in the last 15 years & 260,000 miles.

I imagine Patents have this well nestled into the MB legend, cant say I know of any other car to have it?

picture from 2nd day of ownership, E320 Coupe outside Gate house to Leeds castle in Kent, England

P.S. could someone e-mail me advise on making a Gallery....Tom

[IMG]local://upfiles/6829/8ED23A0F1AC9408EAA7337407194EDA1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-13-2005, 03:32 PM

What about snow? Seems like safety may take a back seat during a bad snow storm. One giant swipe is less efficient when snow is piling up on the hood and windshield and not melting or blowing off as fast as one would like.

... then there's the British who designed cars with three wipers.

Quick Reply: Single Windshield Wiper