Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle after adding oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Default Rough idle after adding oil

I have a ruff idle after adding 1 qt of oil about 5 hrs ago. Added 0w40 mobile 1 synthetic. Should I have put 5w40 in? Any ideas if changing the oil will fix???

Old 08-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Default RE: Rough idle after adding oil

Hmmmmm........rough idle after adding oil??? Never heard of that in my entire life. Which doesn't mean much, but.....
I've been working on cars and building engines for that long, and never had that happen. A lot of OTHER stuff, but not
that exactly. Here's the deal. It's NOT the type of oil that is causing a "rough idle". I can assure you that. You could put
whatever weight oil in there you wanted and it wouldn't change the idle. Listen to any car anywhere. Can you tell by
listening what weight oil is in the crankcase? No. OK. Something else is going on. Might be just a coincidence. Assuming
your "oil level indicator" on your dash shows the proper level (there IS no dipstick, you know)......forget about the oil thing.
With this car, it's best to diagnose rather than replace. Parts aren't cheap. You could have somebody plug in the code
reader and see if a code pops up to let you know what might be the problem. A lot of auto parts places will come out and do
this for no charge. At least it's a start. Hope this helps. Oh, and by the way, if it turns out to be the weight of the oil making
it idle rough, I will personally write you a check for one million dollars.

PS> It will bounce, but it's the thought that counts.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:18 AM
NAZ

YOU SURE U VE NOT OVER FILLED OIL,ON YOUR MODEL IF HAVE OVER FILLED OIL YOU LL HAVE PROBLEM WTH THE BREATHER PIPE WHICH S FROM THE INTAKE MANIFOLD TO ENGINE BREATHER BLOCK CHECK PIPE FOR DAMAGE..........................

Old 08-27-2007, 10:31 AM

Check engine light came on this morning, will get that checked today. Thanks mrcoyote.

I can be sure if it over flowed as there is no dip stick and the test program says that the lvl is ok. I guess I could try to extract some oil. Do you know the exact location of this pipe or have a picture/diagram of it. Thanks NAZ

Old 08-27-2007, 10:58 PM

I would look around and see if you knocked off a vacuum line or something.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:40 PM
NAZ

yes the location of pipe is under the air box my friend its not aDIY its a pain in butt to change that pipe,if the check engine light as come on than for definatly you ll have to take to a dealer,the faults will be all clyinders missfire as sepecail num 2 will be worse than rest,you ll have to replace the pipe any were have it dignosed first and take from there...........

Old 09-02-2007, 09:10 PM

Just got a code reader hooked up. The codespulled were:

p0300 for the multiple missfires and the codes for each cylinder.
p0171 system running lean

Sound like the same thing?