Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about the C-Class

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Default Questions about the C-Class

Hello everyone. I'm new here, but I've always been a MB fan. I would like some opinions and I have some questions to ask about the C Class. I am currently looking at the C Class for my first car because of the very good gas mileage, Mercedes styling and class. (Yeah, I know, and I don't want to be seen driving a Civic). I was mainly looking at the 1994-1997 models, either the C220/C280 or C230. I'm not interested in the C36. Are there any major defects that can affect these vehicles? I've researched and found out about the Wiring Harness issue and the Head Gasket issue. Are these 2 the only major problems that the cars are plagued with? How much are the repairs for these problems if you have them, and what are the signs you have them? With the wiring harness, I've heard the lights randomly burn out, the check engine and other warning lights come on and off intermittently, etc. Are there any signs of a bad head gasket other than the norm? Another question I have is about the electronic key system and infrared key fob. Do these normally cause problems or fail prematurely?

Also, just out of curiosity, Cars.com research is telling me that the 94/95 engines do not need to have Premium gasoline, and regular is recommended. Is this true, because in 96 all of the engines require Premium...

Thank You,
Nick

Old 06-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Default RE: Questions about the C-Class

Nick,
I certainly find it difficult to recommend a 10-13 year old Mercedes Benz to someone for a first car, not if they plan on driving much. I mean if you are just using it to go to the Country Club to pick up "Kip and Buffy" than maybe it is ok....

What do you consider good mileage? Mid 20's? ....that is not really very good.Very good these days is about 35 mpg, IMO, that is CIVIC and Mazda 3 terriitory(both good first cars by the way).

The cost of driving 50k miles over 4 years on a 13 year old Mercedes is going to be ASTRONOMICAL versus the CIVIC you mentioned. Also get a bus pass for when it is in the shop, and the Mechanics charge about $100/hour.

I do think it is a very safe car and likely quite affordable. You may have difficulty finding one without 100k on the clock though.

If you are worried about the .30 extra per gallon for gas your wallet is not heavy enough for a Benz at this time.

The cars you are considering were rather "boxy" too, not quite sexy as the 05, 06, 07 C230 Sport.

Well there you go. You asked for opinion, I gave you mine. You would be better off looking in a different direction. What is your budget anyways?

-Eric

Old 06-28-2007, 06:39 PM

My budget is approximately $8500. I was also considering a BMW 3 and 5-series, but the years I am interested in are plagued with electrical issues. I understand that everyone has different styles of cars that they like, I happen to like the classier car brands like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Acura, etc. I actually was considering an older E-class if you think these are boxy... lol. I do understand that a Civic or Camry would far exceed the mileage and/or dependability of a Mercedes, but at the same time, I'd rather drive in a car that had a better look to it. I mean, I'm not looking for a car that I can mod and tune up, but rather a car that I would feel good driving. I know a lot of teens out there would love a Honda Civic or Accord or some kind of car that they could mod, but I'm not into that. I'd rather have an completely OEM car that has a natural "beauty" rather than a car that just looked good because of the wheels on it.

Here is a list of cars that I am or have considered, maybe you can get a feel of my car style: 1990-1994 Lexus LS400, 1999-2002 Acura TL, 1996-1997 BMW 328i, 1997-1999 BMW 528i, Early 90's S320, 1994-1996 E320, Early 90's E-Series Diesel...

As you can see they are all Luxury or Near-Luxury Sedans that have dropped in value enough for me to purchase them with 150K miles or less. I understand that the 05, 06, and 07 C-class cars are quite sexy, but unfortunately I could not afford a car that new, and to be honest, I wouldn't want to deal with the rapid depreciation of a new car.

Thanks, Nick

Old 06-28-2007, 07:28 PM

Ok Nick, fair enough.

I am 38 years old and a car enthusiast. I *could* buy a 1980 Ferrari 308 for about $30k. But, although I can certainly afford the entry price I know damn well I cannot afford to drive and maintain that car. The basic maintenance would kill me compared to say my '06 C230 Sport which is not cheap to maintain but is in comparison to a vintage 308.

That being said, the only car that is not too much of a stretch is the E36 3 Series BMW. I had two 318's with the smaller engine, a coupe and a sedan and they were good reliable cars. The 328 will be more expensive to maintain but is not a terrible choice. I have no qualms about the Acura TL, I prefer the RSX personally.

You have caviar taste on a beer budget my friend. You remind me a bit of myself when I was younger - but I liked sports cars not Luxo-barges. In college I sold a really nice '83 VW GTI to purchase a '67 Porsche 912. While it was an Ego kick (the girls still did not really like me though) I did have to rebuild the engine as the crank spun a bearing and it eventually rusted to oblivian. I ended college a few grand in debt and the old Porsche was partially to blame for that for sure.

Remember that the folks who bought these cars new were making well north of six figures on average. Particularly the chaps who bought the S Class and LS400's in 1990. Theywere likely CEO's.

-Eric

Old 06-28-2007, 07:48 PM

Okay... I guess I'll have to be submissive and give in. lol. I can understand that and I will take your word for it. I was just afraid that the BMW would be a killer for my insurance. Maybe getting a sedan (I would never get a coupe anyway... Unless it was a 500SEC. haha) would lower that cost slightly. It't not like I wouldn't be able to afford it though...

So the cost of maintaining a Mercedes is really that bad? I understand that every car has it's little problems, but I guess some are much more expensive than others.

Hmm...

Nick

Old 06-28-2007, 08:08 PM

Nick,
Here is a bit of information. Like I said before I bought the C230 I had a 1997 BMW 318is. I also had (still do) a 1997 Mazda Miata.

Part for part the BMW parts were about 3x the same Miata part.For example a clutch slave cylinder might be $110 for a Miata and $330 for a BMW. Now it is a good German Engineered one alright and I am not complaining! $30 Mazda rotor = $75 BMW rotor, etc, etc.

These high end Luxo cars are loaded with motors and sensors and computers and electronic this and that and it is all prone to failure at some point and pricey to replace.

For sure.

-Eric

Old 06-28-2007, 11:49 PM

Well, I'll agree with you on that, they are loaded with a lot of electric stuff that can just go wrong... Maybe I'll just have to stick with a TL or 3-Series... I don't know. I'll have to wait and see when I actually go out looking for a car.

Thanks,
Nick