Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me with my C280

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Default Please help me with my C280

Hi, I'm new to this post my name is Tony. I'm looking for a little help. I have a 2000 C280 Sport and my electronics seem to be getting worse. First, my dash is jumbled and barely ever reads correctly (temp, mileage, trip, time). Also, my radio hardly ever works, but the display will read the track number and disc, it's like it's always on mute. Sometimes I'll be driving and it will just kick on, but it usually decides if it wants to work when I start the car up. My SRS light is also on, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Basically, I think it might be the wires that run throughout the car and connect all devices together since I have such an array of problems. If you have any idea what it could be or have encountered this problem yourself, please let me know it would be extremely appreciated. P.S. I have heard some thoguhts that it might be a dirty connection and one plug may not be getting enough OHMs, but that's about it. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Default RE: Please help me with my C280

I suspect a Control Unit is malfuntioning. Here is something you can try that is free and simple. Disconnect the negative lead from you battery for 30 mins. When you reconnect, your control units will reboot. This may be all that is needed? BTW, you'll need to know your radio code as you will be prompted for it and to manually reboot the windows. Both procedures are very simple and described in your owner's manual. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:04 AM

Alright, well I sent my instrument cluster to BBA Remanufacturing two days ago and got it back yesterday. When I plugged it in, I couldn't beleive it but it worked. It was a long shot, but Ii was hoping it would fix my radio somehow, no luck. Has anybody ran into the problem where your CD display works and you can change tracks, but there is no sound? I tried all the fuses except for the one on back of the radio deck itself. I don't think it's that one though because it will work about one out of every 100 times I turn the car on. It is driving me absolutely crazy. Any thoughts would be great.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:06 AM

Oh and I have tried disconnecting the battery lead (negative lead) twice now. It made the radio work the first times I turned the car on after each disconnect, but no luck after. I guess it isn't the CAN system then because the dash and the radio are separate problems.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:47 PM

I would still pull out the radio and check all the connections, I mean it only takes about thirty seconds to pull out the radio.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:58 PM

I got the cluster back and it looks great. They did a good job and for a price of 250 its a deal compared to 1100 from the dealer. I pulled out the radio a couple days ago, everythings hooked up right. I'm bringing it to a car stereo store this week to get the wires checked out to see if there is a loose connection. I'll let you know how that turns out come Wednesday.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:48 PM

I brought the radio in and the guy checked the fiber optic connections the best he could and said he thinks its the deck, so I had to have it sent out. They couldn't give me a price, but it was 80 bucks for the 1 hour he spent on it plus a 50 dollar deposit on whatever the radio is going to cost, prolly another couple hundred I'm guessing. I won't have the radio back for another week at least, I'm just hoping this is going to work.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:11 PM

Hi, I stumbled across your forum today whilst looking for a fix for my radio. The problem i'm having is very similar - no sound whatsoever the functions work well but just no sound. I own a jul 2004 C200 Kompressor. The problem I think is caused by the fact that a CD is stuck in it and cannot be ejected. Maybe you have the same problem. Are you missing a CD? Does anyone know how to eject the cd without pulling the cd player out and dismantling it?

Many Thanks.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:30 AM

OK well today i started the car andthe radioworked without any issues I ejected teh disc and chucked it out of the car as I drove along. HeHe. Unlike the CD I chucked out, Somehow I don't think that this will bethe last Isee this problem. I will keep a record of future events as they occur in this forum.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:01 PM

Sorry to bump an old post, and poss there is an answer some where else but I did not find it. I have a 98 c280 with a Kenwood Excelion deck and amp that powers all new JL speakers and a sub. Recently the tweeters have been going in and out so I decided to take the deck out and check the connections. I am familiar with car audio and did not see anything strange. However, now my deck shows no display but when I plug it in the eject disc works. other than ejecting the disc there is no audio out to my amp or speakers. I have tried another deck and have cut the wires from the harnesses and directly connected all of them in case of a loose connection somewhere. I am not that familiar with MB tech and thought I would ask the pros. I have the tweeters run directly from the head unit and RCA to the amp in the trunk that sends that signal out to the speakers that are amplified by the Excelion amp with the sub-woofer.There has to be power going to the unit becasue it can eject and accept a disc (both units I have tried) but no display or audio. Any ideas? Thanks!