Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Please help me compare...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Default Please help me compare...

Hello everyone!

I am new here, but it seems that these forums are a good resource for everything Mercedes so I figured I'd voice my queries amongst you all.

I currently own a 2006 Toyota Prius (fully loaded with all the bells and whistles). I love the car, but I miss having a nice-sized luxury sedan (my last car was a Saab 9-5). I have been thinking about trading it in for a C230 Kompressor (w/ navigation), probably the 2005 with under 20K miles on it, if I can find one. My question is, what features (if any) will I lose or gain when/if I switch over?

I will list the things I like and don't like about my current car, and would appreciate it if you guys could share your knowledge with me by telling me which ones I will lose, or which ones would be improved upon. Thanks in advance!

Things I like about my car:
1) Hi-res 1024x768 resolution touch-screen interface for navigation and other features
2) Completely integerated Bluetooth with Address book and calender (in the car's system)
3) Voice activated features (temp, audio, navigation)
4) Maintenance screens for everything from tire rotation, oil-change, to brake pads and fluids
5) Advanced trip computer with graphs and counters for mileage, electricity generated, etc. (this is of course more of a hybrid feature)
6) 6-CD in-dash changer with MP3 capability. Also has an AUX input jack in the armrest.
7) Auto-leveling HID headlights
8) Built-in Homelink for 3 separate garages (buttons in rearview mirror)

Things I DON'T like:
1) Small car, hatchback
2) Even the leather seats don't feel luxurious at all
3) NO power, memory, or heated seats
4) Only single-zone climate control
5) Road noise! The car doesn't have too good of soundproofing.
6) Car seems a bit light and you can feel the air pushing it around if it is windy or you're passing up a truck on the highway.
7) No auto-on headlights!! (As in, when it is dark in your surroundings, they come on themselves)

Post away!

Old 12-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Please help me compare...

welcome kross.

you can also try our "poll" function.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

I was thinking about putting up poll questions, but I figured this way I can get any/all knowledge some of you might want to share instead of just having people vote on the things I wanted to know.

I hope I can get some responses from people who have some knowledge or experience with the C230 Kompressor sedan.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:58 AM

Okay, if no one wants to share info, can anyone point me to a website or post a link for me where I can find detailed specs of a 2005 c230 Kompressor (w/ Navigation) so I can do comparisons on my own? Thank you!

Old 12-22-2006, 12:59 PM

Here is a tip (i'm also buying a C230 with nav) toyota/lexus nav is much better than Mercedes or BMW, i have a lexus with nav and have seen the MB and BMW ones, this is the one part i can share, since i have not recieved my C230 yet, once i do i can more useful (consider getting one with no nav., and getting an after market one, with all the bells and whistles, traffic info. ..etc, only drawback, it won't look as nice on the dashboard)

Old 12-22-2006, 01:10 PM

Thinking of a Mercedes, look here first;

http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/mbusa_complaints.php

Then go here;

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/

BTW I have a Garmin nav unit that works great without the CD's

Old 12-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

those complaints are funny.
mostly are on customer care.
others are confused customers.
one or two of them needs brain surgery.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: washoor

Here is a tip (i'm also buying a C230 with nav) toyota/lexus nav is much better than Mercedes or BMW, i have a lexus with nav and have seen the MB and BMW ones, this is the one part i can share, since i have not recieved my C230 yet, once i do i can more useful (consider getting one with no nav., and getting an after market one, with all the bells and whistles, traffic info. ..etc, only drawback, it won't look as nice on the dashboard)
Washoor, I would love to hear your thoughts and see pictures (if possible) when you do get your C230. Are you getting a brand new one?

I have heard from a lot of people that not a lot of cars today can match the Lexus/Toyota navigation. This kind of concerns me since I am one of those people who give gadgets and all the bells and whistles a lot of importance in their buying decision.

ORIGINAL: BeltFedBob

Thinking of a Mercedes, look here first;

http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/mbusa_complaints.php

Then go here;

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/

BTW I have a Garmin nav unit that works great without the CD's
Thank you for the links BeltFedBob. I will be reading over those complaints very carefully. In our second car, a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant, my fiance uses a Garmin c330 Streetpilot navigation unit. It also has a built-in memory which is update-able through a USB cord, along with SD card slots. The thing is pretty darn useful and portable, BUT it just doesn't match the look and feel of an integerated factory navigation system. In my experience, expecially with my current '06 Prius, when you get the navigation option in most vehicle, it comes bundled with several different features such as several info screens on the LCD, Bluetooth, etc. This is what I am trying to find out for the MB I might get.

I must say though, I am unpleasantly surprised at how many features the high end cars these days do NOT have.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:40 PM

I'm getting a 2004 C230K with 20k miles, with NAV, integrated fone .etc.it will be a beater car, so didn't wanna spend a lot on a new one, MB and BMW so far are not up to par when it comes to gadgets, if you are getting a MB you will need to consider that. i have a lexus RX330 with all the bells and whistles, and no brand in the market can compete with it (Gadget wise that is), but again the silver star has its own magic

Old 12-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

no brand in the market can compete with it
i will compare it with W221 S350

it got no night vision (infrared) (thermal).
it got no backup camera
it got no seat massager /multi contour
it got no parking aid
it got no radar and distronic plus
it got no 7g-tronic shift
it got no adaptive brake / hill hold
it got no cornering lights / bi-xenon
it got no self braking on distance control
and more

Quick Reply: Please help me compare...