Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Please help answer these few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Default Please help answer these few questions

Hi, I have a 96 c280 with 118,000 miles. The car runs and looks great but I have these problems.

- When I first turn the car on in the morning a blower turns on and runs for about 3-4 minutes (depending on the weather). Is this normal for this benz? Or di I need to replace which ever blower this is?

- My car seems to be running rich, on the tip of my chrome tail pipe there is ALOT od black smoothy powder. I took out the plugs and they are black with the same black powder of the tail pipe. This has happened after I replaced the mass air sensor which I did buy brand new from ebay. I did not take it to the dealer to have it reseted because as soon as I installed it the car ran great. I'm only getting about 10-11 MPG! What is wrong here? I would LOVE to get this car to give me 15-17 MPG. If any of you can help me get that I owe you BIG and can reward you somehow (really I mean it).

- Any spark plugs you guys prefer to put on your car? Right now I have champions installed because bosh was out of stock. I don't plan to keep these on unless someone tells me that they are okay?

Please provide any info you can give. THX!

Btw, this website helped me with the AC blower problem. I was only getting a LITTLE air power coming out of the vents. I read about replacing the cabin filter and now it blows GREAT! I do not use the ac at all but the same problem was going on with the heat. Now it works great thanks to some of you!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Please help answer these few questions

as the airmass sensor gets worn out, the engine control module adjust/adapt a new value to achieve a smooth engine running.

it will enrich or lean the adaptation accordingly.

maybe it is better to try resetting that adaptation value first before doing some unecessary spending. be sure to clean the throttle valve before resetting.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:43 AM

"better to try resetting that adaptation value first "

Sounds good but how do I reset it?

Thx for the help sleep.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

the dealer will do it.

it needs HHT or Star diagnosis.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:48 AM

That's bad, I'm sure the cost will be high right? Is the dealer the only way (or any other place that has the HHT or star diagnosis)?

Old 05-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

there are many workshops who also got scanner tools.

you may choose between the cost of burning extra 50% of fuel on every miles/galon, or have the thing fixed.

you love your benz....remember?

Old 05-10-2006, 01:12 AM

Yes I love my benz, but that does not mean I'm willing to be ripped off at the dealer. Here in chicago these guys are ripoffs. And I have found so much good info in forums as to how to do things yourself so that is why I was asking. You are absolutetly right, I rather have it fixed even if it costs alot. I just want to try to fix whatever I can myself.This is one of the biggest reason I LOVE my benz, so far I been able to fix many things myself.

Thanks alot folr your help, I feel better that I can look forward to bet MPG once this is fixed. Any ideas on my other questions, anyone?

Old 05-10-2006, 12:40 PM

Disconnect your NEGATIVE battery cable for at least 10 minutes. This will set your cars computer back to default. Then see how everything works. I have to agree about the MAS once they start to go, the values of the fuel to air ratio's change. Reseting the computer might resolve this problem, but remixing the fuel to air, perhaps not for the better. You might have to spring for a MAS, I wouldn't buy it from a dealer, unless you want to take out a 30 year loan. Go to one of our advertizers and compare prices. I have seen a spread of $200 between dealer on on line sources.

My son bought a new fuel filter at the dealer for the 450SLC we own. It was $44.95, and that was with a 15% discount. www.performanceproduct4benz.com has the same filter for $19.95. I called them and check the part number and it was the same filter. You had to pay S/H of $8.00. But the savings was there.

Try the battery "trick" first before heading off to the dealer. When I installed a CAI. the directions said to disconnect the negative cable. A lot of small problems I had, like the instant start function on my 99 C280 was working again. The car started on the first try and some other things I don't remember. Also, the CAI made quite a difference in the performance of the car, especially after the tach hit 3K. Contray to what others might say about this devices.

If you decide to replace the plugs I highly recommend Bosch Plats plus. I have them in all the cars in the family and I swear by them. I replaced the plugs in my 79 450SLC with Plat plus single electrode, and withing a week the performance and fuel mileage increased. On older cars I wouldn't go with two, three or four electrodes, as these plugs run hot and if your engine has over 100K I would use only the single electrodes.

Yes, I have to admit a good blower is always a nice thing to have?

Old 05-11-2006, 01:21 AM

Thx for your post wizard. I already bought a new mas 3 months ago and after I replaced it is when I WAS running rich.
I did disconnect the battery as you mentioned and so far it seems to be giving me better MPG (I drive alot). Usually I hit 75 miles when the car reaches half a tank. This time around I got 100 miles! Much better but still need to get a little more out of the car. Today I bought DENSO plugs as I read some real good stuff last night. So far the car responds much better. Before these I was using champion plugs which gave me the 100 miles with half a tank. IF this denso plugs give me the same amount of miles I might just return them. But than again the car runs so nice with these denso plugs. Has anyone of you used these? What are your experience with them?

I also like the champions very good for the money. Btw, Wizard, what's CAI? Sounds cool to replace.