Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie C320 '02 input welcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Default Newbie C320 '02 input welcome

Great site! I just took ownership of a 2002 c320 wagon (little hesitant after reading some of the many things that go wrong, but took the chance anyway.) The dealership was not a MB dealership, so they really didn't know much about the car...and neither do I. I'd really welcome some input (some of my questions might make a seasoned MB owner cringe...apologies in advance.)

I hope I managed to get a good deal...(seemed so, but you know how that goes). Thanks to all of you here, I went armed with 7 pages of issues (mostly regarding the seat module causing the battery drain...highlighted the costs of repairs, the number of cars affected, etc.) and the dealership has agreed to have new modules installed in both seats before I take delivery. They came down from their asking price of 15995 to 11000 (with 67000 miles) and no charge for the seat modules. (PLUS I LEARNED WHAT SERIAL # to look for, so that I can tell IF THEY REALLY DID have them replaced. )

Interior and exterior appear to be in near perfect shape (black book and nada are kind in the retail numbers) , and I spent two hours talking to the previous owner before I committed. She said the only issue was the battery drain which she solved by unplugging the seat, and that she wouldn't hesitate to buy the car again even knowing the issue "especially at that price" (she traded to a Yukon...family growing). What do you guys think about the price? (Not all dealerships treat a girl fairly sometimes - but I felt I had a little bit of brain power going in thanks to this site.)

Ok...now here goes embarrassing question No. 1: mmm... the hands free telephone option... how do I know if I have that, how does it work? I have the button with the telephone icon... is there a service I have to subscribe to? It works with a cell phone? (I am so embarrassed to ask this, but none of the literature covers it...and the salesperson had no idea...(my favorite two things were: "The CD player is around here somewhere...probably in the trunk." ( Doesn't have one.) And... "$199 for VIN etching...which THANKS TO YOU GUYS, I pointed out already existed.)

I'll mercifully post only one question...I'm sure there will be others. I welcome anyone who wants to share knowledge, tips, tidbits, info. - but be kind, I AM a newbie.

Let me know what you guys think about the price...and......the telephone!

Kindest Regards,
Katana

Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Default RE: Newbie C320 '02 input welcome

Welcome! I also must say that you got a good deal on your C320.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:57 PM

sounds like a great deal to me as well!

I have a 02 c320 wagon as well! got mine with 20k less miles than you, but for a bit more $$!

Anyhow, i dont have much to add, as i have only have mine for about 2 months, but so far so good! going in for A service Friday...we will see what they say.

oh, and i would guess you dont have the integrated phone, although the mic and button are there. i have them too, but i though you needed to have COMMAND to have the integrated phone, and i don't. not sure if this is correct though.

also, about the cd player...did you check the glovebox?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:32 PM

No, you don't need to have a COMAND to have a phone installed. Just press the "PHONE" or "CD" incons on the radio. If it says "no phone" or "no cd" on the message display, you don't have them.

The Benz phone would be installed with the cradle in the centre armrest and the CD player would be installed inside the glove box.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 PM

Thanks for your reply! I'd love for you to let me know how the service A goes. One hesitation I had before the purchase was cost of maintaining the vehicle. I read about "$500 oil changes" and such. (I have the Service B due in 2200 miles reading as of now. Any idea of the cost of this?)

So far so good...(well, only two days). I like the way it handles. (Previous car was VW Cabrio, which was great, but had an incident with a semi and a guardrail...not too much damage, thankfully, but when the insurance settled I weighed getting it fixed or the new "used" car. I feel a lot better knowing some of you think it sounds like a good deal. I am actually impressed with this car dealership (and after years of horrible experiences, that says a lot.)

I sort of figured I didn't have the phone or the CD changer (READOUT SURE ENOUGH SAYS "NO PHONE" and "NO CD" (I checked the trunk and glovebox). I think the reason I wasn't completely sure was that I also pressed TAPE and it said NO TAPE, but of course there WAS one, just no TAPE in the Tape player...thought maybe it said NO CD because there was NO CD in the changer, or NO PHONE because, like you thought Jennyjane, I had to have a service option. Anyhow, I would love to be able to play CD's, so here's my next newbie question:
#2 - How do I know if my particular car has the fibre optic CD wiring? (Is it standard in all 2002's, or could I have the non fibre optic?)
If I get the MC3198 is that pretty much going to fit?

I so appreciate the welcome and all the input regarding the C320. Thanks to all of you who responded and I'm sure I will have a lot more questions, especially in the early days!

Kindest Regards,
Katana

Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 PM

thanks for that clarification Neon! very good to know. its an option i am interested in as well, now that i know i dont have to spend all the $$$ for the COMMAND (although, i want the command for other options it has).

katana, i also went from a VW (v6 passat) to MB. funny!

not sure about the fiber optics, but i would guess someone knows (have you tried doing a search?). i know they can turn up alot of things that arent exactly what you want, but if you have time to sort through them, it can be really helpful!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:04 PM

We are fiber optic. Unsure of part number but SURE of fiber optic! =)

Old 06-20-2008, 07:23 PM

Hey all,

Jumping in this thread to join the other new C320 owners. I too have just purchased an '02. I used to drive a '96 C220 and it's a world of a difference!

So i gather i need to keep a close eye on the seat modules. I also note that the LED display on my instrument cluster is beginning to fade out on the outer edges. Does anyone have an idea how much THAT would cost to replace?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:22 PM

[sm=welcomesign.gif][sm=wootwoot.gif]