Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Need lots of help on MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:19 AM
Default Need lots of help on MAF sensor

I have a 2004 c230 kompressor that is vibrates alot while the RPMS drop below 1000. So I went to AutoZone and the guy told me the scanner was throwing a MAF sensor code. He suggested cleaning the MAF sensor first but more likely going to need to replace it. Well guys I am having a real difficult time getting to the MAF sensor. Also on the plastic covering the air filter there is a Caution Sign stating High Voltage around iginition. Do I need to disconnect the battery first before I start messing around with it. I know there are alot of do it yourself stuff out there but I can't find anything with pictures. which I badly need. Really need something that can walk me through it.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:12 AM
Default RE: Need lots of help on MAF sensor

autozone is not the best for diag. remember MB restricts its info. to independant co. like scan tool co. they only release the bare min. to be compliant. i have after market scan tools and tried on benz at the dealer and they can at times lead you astray, due to not having all the facts that the factory HHT, or SDS will show. now on to your? the maf sensor or MASS sensor what we referr to as is quite common a failed componet. they test to last 50-80k depending on how some one treats the sensor when moving it around doing work on the car or affected by dirt.the #1 killer is dirty air filter that never gets changed untill it needs a mass air flow. now if you have a c230k (supercharged ) the air flow sensor is off the hard air intake ducting lt side(driver) between the radiator and p/s pump it is black and round and should have a flat (1/2 thick x 2' wide) black 5 pin conn. you dont need to disconnect the batt (youll end of setting a esp/abs/ codes for steering angle sensor initalization , the fix turn the wheel to far rt then lt lock and again untill it goes out) just remove keu from ign. unclip the 2 retaining clips to the sensor and unscrew the large hose clamp around the back of the sensor unplug the elect. conn. remove sensor and replace (THERE IS NO!!! CLEANING OF THIS SENSOR YOU WILL DESTROY THE HEATING ELEMENT INSIDE AND RUIN THE SENSOR ANYWAYS WHICH WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED )also important***** replace the air filter and clean all the sand out of the bottom of the air box

Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 AM

Westcoastmercedes thanks for the help. I keep reading thesame thing about theirs no cleaning it but I justcalled my service advisor atMercedes and he said sometimes they might be able to clean it. Don'tknow if he was feeding me bull. I think I can chaulk mineup to a really dirty air filter. How often should I change my air filter. Thanks

Old 01-23-2007, 02:34 PM

mb recommend every 50k i think that is alittle much my interval is every 10k take the air filter out and shake out the dirt get all the big debri out of it and with a vacc. clean out the air box (below where the air filter sits ) then at 20k replace the filter . just be careful when you are uncliping the top of the air box ( the top part that is connected the the mass air ) not to bang it around. THAT CAN DAMAGE THE AIR MASS!!! and its costly !! as for cleaning the air mass sensor i never heard of that it gets replaced . if you spray any thing into it it will short out , trying to blow air across dont do anything and if you bump it to hard it may brake the heating element inside and its now good now.all you can do is replace it and try to keep as much dirt from getting into it.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:34 PM

Westcoastmercedes thanks for the help. Have a couple questions hope you can help. When I remove the air box lid and take the filter out I see the air mass sensor. After the air mass sensor their is a hard plastic duct that makes a 90 turn downward which screws into the air mass sensor housing. Mine doesnt have a large hose clamp after the air mass sensor but their is a hose clamp at the bottom of that hard plastic duct. Do I need to remove the hose clamp first and the hard duct and air mass will come out together.