Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with the Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Default need help with the Sport Mode

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could go to learn how to use the "manual" part of the car in terms of when to upshift, when to downshift and so forth. I drive a 06 c280 and the dealer said I can drive the car "like a M3, since you can shift the gears" but only if you want. I would like to learn how to use since it is a pretty cool feature. When I was trying yesterday, everytime I downshifted, the car would slow down immediately (Thank god it was night time since there were no cars around, if it was during the day, a car would have rammed into the back of the car since everytime i downshifted the car jerked down really quick). I didn't like how when I was in 2nd gear, I hit the break, then downshifted, and then the car would jerk down. This is obviously very dangerous cause if a car was behind me and saw me suddenly slow down dramatically out of no where, it would cause an accident. If anyone could possibly tell me what I need to do in terms of when and how to Upshift and downshift I would reeeeeeeeallly appreciate it. Thanks again!!

Old 01-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Default RE: need help with the Sport Mode

If it's an '06 then it's new or as good as - right?

If sitting in the cockpit of the vehicle it is not obvious then you really don't deserve the the resposability of driving a dangerous machine like a car, besides which - the dealership are required to do a full hand over when you buy the car - this takes about 2 hours, they explain every control for the owner/driver. Thats a MB must!!!

Not saying you are mistaken or anything but if you are doing it right, then take it back while its under warranty.

Manufactures spend millions on developing user manuals that can be understood by the average KIA driver, so a Mercedes owner should take a hint there, and RTFM!!! That means Read The f* Manual.

Good Luck

w203 C320 v6 Elegance - 2001 - Brilliant Silver - Black Leather - CD - Premuim Alloy Wheels

ORIGINAL: DominicanOps

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could go to learn how to use the "manual" part of the car in terms of when to upshift, when to downshift and so forth. I drive a 06 c280 and the dealer said I can drive the car "like a M3, since you can shift the gears" but only if you want. I would like to learn how to use since it is a pretty cool feature. When I was trying yesterday, everytime I downshifted, the car would slow down immediately (Thank god it was night time since there were no cars around, if it was during the day, a car would have rammed into the back of the car since everytime i downshifted the car jerked down really quick). I didn't like how when I was in 2nd gear, I hit the break, then downshifted, and then the car would jerk down. This is obviously very dangerous cause if a car was behind me and saw me suddenly slow down dramatically out of no where, it would cause an accident. If anyone could possibly tell me what I need to do in terms of when and how to Upshift and downshift I would reeeeeeeeallly appreciate it. Thanks again!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/8150/989ECC32CC6F4596AD036AF554976424.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-29-2006, 08:33 PM

Wow. There's a cranky fella, eh? Maybe his boss just yelled at him?

I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you that you're downshifting at both too high of an RPM and with your foot off the gas pedal. Look in the owner's manual for recommended RPMs for downshifting.

Try "blipping" (quickly stomping and letting up) the gas pedal just before the downshift. You don't need to do this if M-B does it for you. Keep some gas pedal pressure until the engine matches revs and use the gas pedal to slow down, if that's what you're trying to do.

Don't use downshifting in lieu of brakes. Big no-no. Use your brakes for stopping or slowing. Downshift because you're going to accelerate hard in a moment or two, like when you're getting out of a turn.

If M-B doesn't do the blipping for you, get used to using your left foot on the brake and right on the gas when you're shifting manually, or if the pedals are close enough together, use just you right to work both the brake pedal and gas pedal at the same time. Use your heel on the brake pedal and your toes on the gas pedal, or the other way around, whichever is more comfortable.

Well, like I said, that's not everything, but it should keep you busy for a while. And leave PBI alone. He's obviously had a hard day.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:41 PM

Howdy Lugnut,

Made me laugh with what you said about me.

To be honest - I was going to give the answer to at least help a little, but then I decided to take the tough attitude - Maybe MB is rubbing off on me. SNELL SNELL EIN SVI EIN SVI

DominicanOps, Lug is right, try what he said, It will keep you busy until you get bored of trying he he he..

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

Wow. There's a cranky fella, eh? Maybe his boss just yelled at him?

I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you that you're downshifting at both too high of an RPM and with your foot off the gas pedal. Look in the owner's manual for recommended RPMs for downshifting.

Try "blipping" (quickly stomping and letting up) the gas pedal just before the downshift. You don't need to do this if M-B does it for you. Keep some gas pedal pressure until the engine matches revs and use the gas pedal to slow down, if that's what you're trying to do.

Don't use downshifting in lieu of brakes. Big no-no. Use your brakes for stopping or slowing. Downshift because you're going to accelerate hard in a moment or two, like when you're getting out of a turn.

If M-B doesn't do the blipping for you, get used to using your left foot on the brake and right on the gas when you're shifting manually, or if the pedals are close enough together, use just you right to work both the brake pedal and gas pedal at the same time. Use your heel on the brake pedal and your toes on the gas pedal, or the other way around, whichever is more comfortable.

Well, like I said, that's not everything, but it should keep you busy for a while. And leave PBI alone. He's obviously had a hard day.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:41 PM

First of all, to be so hostile right off the bat gives me the impression your nothing more than some rich kid who got his Mercedes for free and has all the time in the world to read the manual (WHICH isn't the most in detail when it comes to what I want to know). There is only ONE page which talks about upshifting and down****ing, so don't give me a hostile reponse and then have the never to give me a response as simple as "READ THE F'*CKING MANUAL", when it doesn't say anything at all concerning what I asked. All it says is the obvious, to upshift you move the gear selector to the right, and to downshift move the gear selector to the left. Also, the dealer just told me that it can switch into the "sport" mode but made no reference on how to exactly use it since he was kinda a jerk (IMO). He did go over the heated seats and everything else, but did not go into extreme detail as too how to use the shifting and what not. For me to ask a simple question and to get such an immature response instead of a professional and dignified response is just truly ridiculous.

Thanks for the responses you got, I'll defeintly try it out. Thanks again.

PS. AND DONT FORGET! That just cause we all drive Mercedes we shouldn't be cocky jerks ($hit, its only a C-class too, not like we rolling in S-Classes, okay!)

Old 01-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

I am rolling in S-Classes two of them.

and Lugnut is rolling in a SL600.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:42 AM

CALM DOWN KIDDO!!!! From what I read maybe you could be the spoilt rich kid, (just pulling your chain)

BTW, I'm 33 and left home when I was 17, worked 75 hours a week for over a year in a restaurant to afford to live back then!!!

#1 I'm no rich kid, everything I have I've worked long and hard for, probably like most people on here. I traded to MB from a Chrysler/Dodge Neon.... BESIDES WHICH, rich kids in the UK dont get MB, they get things like a mini or kia. Motoring in the UK costs about 4x what it does in the USA, I know that for a fact.

#2 Don't take everthing so literally, the term of RTFM is meant in the engineering/pc worrld as light hearted, it's not meant to be a personal dig, as i'm sure you're aware alot of people come onto Jeep and mercedes forums without looking at the obvious stuff.
(and again - don't think I'm referring to you in that - just saying generally)

#3 I never owned a MB before, and found all of the controls - both logical and straight forward, REMEMBER - Tip Tronic or not, Its still in essence an automatic, and Like LUGNUT said - you don't back off the power to shift up. Shifting down is reverse of going up through the gears.

The button for SPORTS as it is referred to is actually Standard(summer)/Winter according to MB in Germany.

Best of Luck - sorry if you thought I was being personal!!!

ORIGINAL: DominicanOps

First of all, to be so hostile right off the bat gives me the impression your nothing more than some rich kid who got his Mercedes for free and has all the time in the world to read the manual (WHICH isn't the most in detail when it comes to what I want to know). There is only ONE page which talks about upshifting and down****ing, so don't give me a hostile reponse and then have the never to give me a response as simple as "READ THE F'*CKING MANUAL", when it doesn't say anything at all concerning what I asked. All it says is the obvious, to upshift you move the gear selector to the right, and to downshift move the gear selector to the left. Also, the dealer just told me that it can switch into the "sport" mode but made no reference on how to exactly use it since he was kinda a jerk (IMO). He did go over the heated seats and everything else, but did not go into extreme detail as too how to use the shifting and what not. For me to ask a simple question and to get such an immature response instead of a professional and dignified response is just truly ridiculous.

Thanks for the responses you got, I'll defeintly try it out. Thanks again.

PS. AND DONT FORGET! That just cause we all drive Mercedes we shouldn't be cocky jerks ($hit, its only a C-class too, not like we rolling in S-Classes, okay!)

Old 01-30-2006, 11:03 AM

It's Miller time.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:09 PM

lol sorry if I seemed ticked off!! lol thanks again everyone.