Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice pls.. '99 C280 sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Default Need advice pls.. '99 C280 sport

Hello All...
I just got my 99 C280 sport package, this is my first time with MB, need some advice, does the automatic climate control has a bulb? mine is so dark at night, or do I have to change the unit?
and my check engine went on just now, but the engine still runs good, all the electricity still works, do I have to go to mechanic to get check? or is there something that i can do before I go to mechanic?

thank you very much.....

Old 03-11-2010, 03:27 PM

You don't have a location listed in your profile, but I'm assuming you are in the US. Therefore you can go to AutoZone etc. parts stores to have them check the code. They will give you the DTC code and based on that you will be able to figure out your course of action.

Or, you can buy an OBD II scanner from a parts store and read the code yourself. You can by them for about 50 bucks, give or take.

Yes, there is a bulb in the climate control unit. Mine is also out. It is located at the bottom of the unit. You need MB/Audi/VW stereo removal tools to remove the unit and then you can access the bulb socket. You can also make the said tool yourself, if you like. There are directions posted somewhere. I bought mine off Ebay for less than 5 bucks shipped.

If the bulb is out, the dealer or some online sellers are the only places to get it. Normal parts stores do not carry it. I actually just today went and bought the bulb from the dealer (~5 bucks) and instead of the 1.2W bulb that was in there, they sold me a 0.5W bulb. The 1.2W is supposedly not available anymore... I'll have to check with some of the online MB parts stores if any of them have it.

The worst thing is, though, that the new bulb didn't solve the problem. I still have to verify it once it gets dark enough, but so far it looks like I might need a new unit altogether...

Old 03-11-2010, 07:35 PM

Just remember there are other systems then the me [ engine management ] that will set engine lamp on. And a generic reader will not read all systems.

Jerry

Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 PM

thank you very much for the advices
i will try to fix my climate control by myself.
about the check engine, i got this solved, it happened because i turned the rear fog light on, but only the driver side was on, and both of the bulb was fine, after i turned that off, check engine light went on, the day after the exterior lamp failure lamp went on, but now, none of them are on, my friend told me to change the bulb, but since the bulb was fine i didn't do anything on it, until the both light indicator (check engine and exterior lamp) was off. so even the small bulb can affect check engine? anyway i'm in US in Oklahoma.

thank you very much.....

Old 03-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ferry Corsten
so even the small bulb can affect check engine?
Absolutely not. Check Engine has nothing whatsoever to with the light bulbs in the car.

The light can, however, go off on its own, but then come back again later on. Like said, go to AutoZone etc. and have them scan the computer for free.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:41 PM

Ferry,
you only have 1 rear fog light , it will be drivers side rear .
all Benz only have 1 rear fog light bulb. engine light will not come on for lights !!! . so there is still a code or codes in 1 or more of the systems. engine light may be out but code will still be stored.

Jerry