Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

My car it's acting strange, need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Default My car it's acting strange, need help!!!!

Hi guys,
I’m wondering if what happened to me has happen to anyone else and somebody can help me on this. I have a 2001 C240 completely stock with 55,000 miles and it’s being acting kind of strange for the last few days. Few days ago I got out of work around midnight and started driving home when the interior light came on by itself. I did not touch anything and shortly after I went to lower the windows and it did not work. I keep trying and finally the windows went down little by little. They did not work normally, they went down in segments and the automatic option did not work. I don’t know if I’m explaining myself correctly but basically the windows did not go up or down automatically and I had to wait few seconds and keep trying for the windows to go up or down. After few minutes the interior light came on again and the rear windows came down by themselves too. That happened for another 2 times before I got home.
I recently replaced the windshield and I heard that it has a light sensor. Is this true and would this be the reason why the light came on? It was dark and there was no traffic except one or two cars. Also the check engine light is on but a Mercedes mechanic told not to worry about that because it’s going to be related to emissions and he can fix that before the car goes to get inspected for the registration. It’s that true? Other than that my car runs great. Does anyone have any ideas or can help me on this? Your help will be really appreciated, I’m a do it yourself guy and I have a warranty but it’s not thru Mercedes. Thanks, Ricky..

Old 09-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Default RE: My car it's acting strange, need help!!!!

Not sure about the dome light going on, however I have an idea about the windows.

YOur description of widow operation sounds like they lost power and now need to be synchronized. This is a fairly simple operation and is described in the owners manual. HOWEVER-before you do that, I recommend disconnecting you negative battery lead for 30 mins. -reconnect -and then synchronize. This operation will reboot your control units and may solve your dome light behavior.
Caveat-you'll need to know your radio code after battery disconnect. If you don't know it, the dealer does.

The check engine light may very well have to do with emissions controls, however, it's easy enought to find out. If your dealer won't do it for free, go to an auto parts store like Auto Zone, and they'll read the CEL for free.
Good luck.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 AM

Thanks for youe advise. I'll be checking that on my manual. Today the windows work perfectly, we'll see if they start acting up. I've heard that a lot of funky stuff happens when you disconect the battery. Thanks again and I'll post the CEL error later. When I replaced the windshield the dude told me that there was a light sensor on the windshield. Do you know anything about that?

Old 09-08-2006, 11:34 AM

I wonder if he's talking about the rain-sensor located top center? The rain sensor does sense light. Apparently it works by detecting changes in light refraction through rain as the intensity changes; adjusting the speed of your windshield wipers accordingly.
That's the only sensor in the windshield I know of, which doesn't mean there isn't another one. Those MB engineers are always coming up with "gee-wiz" accessories.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:03 AM

Can someone help me with this? My car keeps acting strange. Windows will go down, interior light will turned on, hazards will come on and the message board will blink few times illuminating every single light on the dash board. All that will last about 20 seconds and then everything goes to normal. I have noticed that it always happens during night time only. This scares me, I always think that the car will stall and leave me stranded. I think that it has to be related to the lights, moisture or tempeture because like I said it happens during the night or early mornings. I have no idea where to begin. Thanks in advance for your help.