Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

More Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Default More Xenon

I did not want to get caught up in the last post, so let me ask here.

What lights come standard in an 05 240 4matic. My low beams are as average as they come. But the high beams ligh up the night like nothing I have ever seen before. Could they be real HID? Should my owners manual or window sticker tell me? Is it right in front of my face and I could not see it?

Also, Are they typically used only on high or low beams or both.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Default RE: More Xenon

If one has HIDs, they are not high beams, they are low beams. There is a technical reason for that and we discussed 'bout it a while back.

If you have halogen low beams, you have halogen through out.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:03 PM

Some HID kits come with high and low beams. Both beams use the same bulbs, ie, the high beams aim higher but do not shine any brighter.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

it's called bixenon. the thing just tilts up and down actuated by vacuum. most newer model cars of different brands use them too.

05 240 4matic uses either bixenon ( low and high beams D2S 35Watts bixenon bulb)
or
halogen ( low beam H7 12Volts-55Watts and main beam H7 12Volts-55Watts )

if C240AWD can give me his VIN or datacard, i will know which type he got.

Are they typically used only on high or low beams or both
as we noticed, high and low beams got the same wattage now.

H7 is not xenon as what we have argued on the other post but a bulb. burner xenon (bulb) got different gases inside.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:59 PM

it's called bixenon. the thing just tilts up and down actuated by vacuum. most newer model cars of different brands use them too.
I know most bixenon lights do tilt but is that how high and low beam is determined? I had a BMW 3 series with bixenons and they had a plate covering the bottom half of both lenses. when you turned on the high beam, the cover would open like an eyelid. I never took a good look at my C-Class lights yet but I assumed it would be the same.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:06 PM

... is that how high and low beam is determined?
Yep. It's not only xenon. Any type of headlights just use aiming. Low beams point downward and high beams point more horizontal. Some conventional high beams use higher wattage bulbs than the low beams, but not all.

The motorized tilting and eyelid stuff are just fancy (read expensive) ways of concentrating and pointing the beam downward or horizontal. The cheaper way is to fix separate beams downward and horizontal. The cheapest way is to have only low beams when you buy a xenon conversion kit.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:09 PM

At the risk of exposing my ignorance (which is vast, but I rarely admit it even to myself) what is the function of "self-leveling" headlamps?
I have factory xenons with self-leveling.....and, when I turn on the headlamps (even the parking lamps) they seem to physically revolve up and then settle. Is this about aim? If so, why am I able to manually adjust aim(at least I think I can)
confused[sm=smiley22.gif]

Old 12-23-2005, 09:44 PM

My guess would be so the headlights are adjusted properly when the car changes pitch. For example, when you load the trunk with something heavy. I'm just pulling that out of my behind so I may be wrong.

The routine at start up is likely a self-test of the leveling system.

You have always been able to adjust the headlight aim--since the '40s or '50s. You can turn on low or high beams and change the aim. If you didn't like the aim, you could get a screwdriver and turn some screws around the headlight lenses.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

there is level sensor on it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/FB6BB9F7613540DB84EEC4E704AE36CB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-24-2005, 02:58 PM

Ahhh.....that makes sense.

Sleepwalker, I hate to see all those electronics. If those motors, sensors or modules go, can I just maually adjust headlamps?

Quick Reply: More Xenon