Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

mold/mildew in A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Default mold/mildew in A/C

Does anyone have a moldy/mildew smwll in their A/C? I have one in my C320, and it keeps reocurring despite several attempts by dealership to fix. Any ideas?

Old 06-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Default RE: mold/mildew in A/C

OK..here's my take on this. This issue is widely talked about on the internet in many forums, including BMW and other make vehicles. It's very common and I have found, through it happening to me with my vehicles, that this is a huge gray area when it comes to the "fix". Having said that, the dealers will tell you that it's an "environmental" issue, meaning that mold and junk forms on the different parts of your a/c and if you insist, they will run some junk through your a/c system that may or may not help for an undetermined length of time. Great, huh. I have had this done on several cars and it never lasted. I have even had the so-called parts that they said had this mold/mildew on them replaced, and that didn't even fix it. I have myself sprayed everything everybody EVER mentioned would work into the recirc. system under the dash, and that didn't even do it. Everything from Lysol to Oust to Ozium to the stuff you buy at the auto parts stores. Nothing worked permanently. They will tell you to run your heater a few minutes before shutting the car off to get rid of it. That never worked for me. Others say that this or that treatment or spray worked for them, so I really don't have the answer you'd like. I personally don't think anybody does for all vehicles. My friend's brand new BMW does it here in Arizona. Go figure. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you on this one....it can be pesky and I know that smell is pretty bad.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:43 PM

There is a spray out there that will remove the odor.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

just replace the dust microfilter.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:10 AM

You can try changing the microfilter, but my experience has been that this has not solved the problem. I did this in three different vehicles that had this problem, and that didn't do it. Cleans the air, though!

Old 06-23-2006, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

it's been discussed that a feshly ground coffee in a pouch left overnight in a car can somehow freshen the air.

if the car got carbon activated filter, this may remove the odor.

water accumulation inside can also be the source.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:23 PM

if your vehicle is under warrenty, there is a bulletin for this problem, the first part of the bullentin is using a wynns a/c treatment that fogs the whole a/c vent system. if u complain about the same problem some vehicles that are in the bulletin range will get a new teflon coated evaporator. the problem is the fins on the evap that run horizontal get water that sits in them and the still water turns moldy. the wynns treatment sometimes helps if the problem hasnt got too bad and if its done properly, u need to run the heat for awhile to dry out the vent system. but good luck.

and the coffee beans will mabey neutralize the smell for a little bit and youll smell coffee thats why when u go to any nice cologne or perfume store they hve u smell coffee beans in between smelling samples. but it wont fix any problems.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:08 AM

here is the solution to your problem mercedes is aware of this happening they released what is called a dtb. first thing they do is use a machine to attempt to clean your evaporator. then after that dosent work they replace the evaporator with a evap that has a coating on it thay resists meldew.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:56 PM

holy **** how did u figure that out vytamenc. i love people that are posers