Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Mobil1 0w-40 for a 94' Mercedes C280?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007 | 07:27 PM
Default Mobil1 0w-40 for a 94' Mercedes C280?

Hi,

Like we all know maintenancefor a Mercedescan be pretty expensive[:@], therefore I have decided to do my own maintenance from now on[&:]. I have a 94' Mercedes Benz C280 w/ 153k miles. I'm planning to do an oil change inwhich, Mercedes recommended oil Mobil1 0w-40, I did some researched and found out that this was the best oil for my model. However, considering the mileages and searches on this forum, should I use something else, I herd 10w-40 is more common for high mileage cars[]. With that on the side, I also plan to change my oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. Would anyone know where the oil filter is located, I have already bought the Fram Oil Filter, buthave no idea where it’s located, instead of being like a regular oil filter, its a filter for a canister? I'm pretty much clueless on the fuel filter also, so anyone knows where that located it would save a lot of time. Overall, if anyone has any advice or suggestionon using the right oil for my car, please let me know. Plus, if anyone can tell me where the oil filter and fuel filter that would help a lot. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-07-2007 | 03:03 AM
Default RE: Mobil1 0w-40 for a 94' Mercedes C280?

OK>I don't own this particular year and model car, but since nobody else has taken a stab at this, I think I can help you out based on what I do to my own car. The oil you mentioned for a higher mileage car will be fine. The filter is inside a canister PROBABLY in back of the engine up against the firewall where mine is, but again, I don't know for your car. Look for a skinny black plastic looking canister with a hex-head type nut built into the cap. Mine is WAY in back up against the firewall and requires a pretty big wrench and a bit of an awkward technique to unscrew it, but not really a problem. Be sure to drain the oil FIRST, or when you lift the thing out you will make a big mess. My car has a plastic thing that the filter slides down onto. Just pull the filter up and off and replace with a new one. If there are O-rings with the filter, replace them for a good seal.
Maybe somebody with this particular year car can chime in and say exactly where it is on your car. The fuel filter is the same style as on my newer car, and on MY car, it's under a little panel near the back of the chassis. If you go to www.autopartswarehouse.com and type in your make and model car,you will see pictures of the parts you need, and you might note that there are a few choices for fuel filters for your car depending on the chassis number. That's because it has to fit up in there just right. It's not a hard job at all, at least mine wasn't and I saved about 200 or more bucks doing it myself in about 20 minutes. You will need a drip pan for sure and have everything ready to go! Right? OK. If it's where I think it is, you will benefit by jacking the rear of the car up pretty high for access. Again, this is the way it is on MY car only. Yours may be completely different........(and probably is)......now that I've said all that.

Old 06-07-2007 | 08:19 AM

Well, first and foremost thanks for the response MrCoyote. I was just a little nervous using such light oil like 0w-40 for my car. I have located the oil filter and will pick up a hex-head type adapter to remove the cap along with the rest of the materials. Thanks again.

Old 06-07-2007 | 09:40 AM

I would do more research on your oil choice unless you are sure this is what has been put into your car for past oil changes. Most older w202 C Class owners have not and do not use the synthetic oil. You don't want to start changing now. If you car has the FSS (99 or later?) then it is more likely they have been using synthetic. I would also return the filter you bought if possible and buy a high quality Knetch/Mann fleece one like MB uses. www.autohausaz.com sells good ones.

You need to do some Googling and search the net to find the other Mercedes forums. You will find lots of posts on how to change the oil and even some on changing the fuel filter. The fuel filter is not hard but it ispain. You need fuel line pinchers and jack stands to raise the back of the car (be safe!).

Old 06-18-2007 | 05:16 AM

Personally, my C320 has 146,000 miles under her hood, and I still use Mobil 1 - 0w40.

I always take MY MOBIL 1 to the dealer for them to use as part of the service, even though the previous owners dealership used Shell or Exxon (Esso) ultra and such like.

Ive had mine for a couple of years and done 40,000 on Mobil 1 at each service- Personally... I would still change over even if its only had cheap stuff in.

Some people think changing to synthetic will cause problems, which may seem true, however - owing to the very good desluging capability of Synthic/Mobil 1 - if there is an oil seal fault, it will show up sooner....but its not caused ever by the synthtic oil.

If you have any doubt, go for a 5w 40 Chevron Synthetic, I sed it in my 1997 Grand Cherokee with no issues, buy it from COSTCO orTragetor a good auto parts seller rather than the Gas station, they over charge for oil.

Good Luck, and I agree - buy a good filter or even from MB as they are inexpensive.