Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Million Dollar Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Default Million Dollar Question

Simply put:

Should I get a K&N filter for my C230 or should I stick with paper (Beck/Arnley)?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Default RE: Million Dollar Question

well it comes down to affordability in most cases. The benefit of the K&N is being able to clean and re-use. HP wise not much of a differance simply because the filter is contained in a box so the free flow design of the K&N will not benefit much. Best to clean your air box from time to time. I clean mine at least 2-3 time a month and tends to help the filter to last longer.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:37 PM

I've just been reading several bad things about K&N's regarding MAF's getting clugged up and failing. I am leaning towards a standard paper filter but I want to get other's input before I make up my mind.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:12 PM

I put one on my 2000 C280 and I didnt notice much difference in power or MPG.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 PM

As a hot-rodder who just happens to own a C230K, I decided when I got the car I would use a K&N instead of paper filters because I was so used to them and for me, cleaning them and oiling them is not a big deal. I didn't buy it for "horsepower". If it gives any, its minimal and no, you won't notice it. If you don't mind paying more initially and cleaning it and oiling it now and then, go ahead and get one. It's not like you have to clean it all the time. The K&N people will even tell you they work better slightly dirty, so no worries about it when you see dirt on it.
It's just the way they are made and the technology behind them. As far as plugging up the MAF and so on, I've heard this here as well. All I can say is that if the thing is oiled properly, with a LIGHT oiling, this won't happen. I have been doing this for many years on many cars and never had this happen. You don't need to soak the thing when you oil it. Follow instructions to the letter and you're good to go. I don't think everybody reads instructions these days.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

I don't like cleaning the K&N. For me the time and mess far outwieghs the benefit of re-use.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:03 AM

I understand. A lot of people feel the same way. It really depends on you. You can make the argument either way.
This is one of the most discussed topics on most automotive websites, believe it or not! But the hot rodders argue
about how much horsepower they got with one vs. a stock filter. It goes on and on. Almost comical at times!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

If I had a Hotrod, I would use the K&N. It doesn't seem right to have a paper filter on a Hotrod.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Agree, BlueSilver....not to mention all the flack I would take if I showed up somewhere with no K&N on either monster.
That alone seals the deal!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:33 AM

what would be the proper way to clean the airbox? just vacuum it?

Quick Reply: Million Dollar Question