Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Is the Mercedes Steering wheel stiffer than other cars ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Default Is the Mercedes Steering wheel stiffer than other cars ?

Hi
I got an Audi A4 1996 a Nissan Tilda 2006 and a Mercedes C 320 2002.

What I noticed about the Mercedes is the steering wheel is much stiffer than on the other two cars. The other two cars are powered by their frontwheels, while the Mercedes is powered by it's frontwheels.

I did check the air pressure in the wheels and I check the hydrolic oil, all seemed fine. Is normal for the Mercedes Steering wheel to be somehow stiffer ?

One thing I noticed is that the steering wheel only slowly returns to original position in 90 degree turns, while in the other cars it would almost spin into position, in the MB this is slower and I normally help it using my hands to return it into position.

Regards
________
Park Royal 3 Condos Pattaya

Last edited by alinux; 09-18-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Default RE: Is the Mercedes Steering wheel stiffer than other cars ?

I could be way off base on this one, but I don't think I am.

The difference is in the design of the steering control in the different make of cars.
Mercedes uses a different type of setup than the Audi....I can remember the Audi salesman telling me
about this and I didn't believe him, but I think he was right. He tried to sell me on the steering of the Audi
over the Mercedes and told me why they "feel" different when you drive them both back to back. So, I'm
guessing what you are feeling is pretty typical. Again, I could be wrong here. I've been wrong so many times
in life, I'm always shocked when I'm right.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:11 AM

Hi
Thanks for the update, maybe the Audi guy was right. But I will have the steering wheel checked out by some pro anyhow, I mean I could drive the Audi with one hand and turn the steering wheel with one hand.
However, with this car I always have both of my hands when turning the steering wheel, from what I can see this is too much effort that needs to be applied to the steering wheel.
I mean it is not like I have to apply real force, but it is a strain at times when compared to other cars.

________
Colorado Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited by alinux; 09-18-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:11 AM

Understand that there are basically two types of steering "controls" on cars. One is the rack and pinion. Most of them are power rack and pinion, which makes for a relatively easy steering effort. This is what the Audi has I'm pretty sure. The Mercedes may or may not have a rack and pinion setup. If it's the "recirculating ball" gear box type, even if it is power controlled, it may not be as easy to steer as the Audi or another vehicle depending on other factors....tires, weight of the car, etc. So, you're on the right track. The first thing is to get somebody to look under the hood and check fluid level, etc.
Chances are it has nothing to do with the "steering wheel" itself. Also, check tires and air pressure as well. My friend has a BMW and I let him borrow my car quite often. He always mentions that his BMW steers so much easier than my C230.
Good luck.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 AM

In my opinion the steering feel in a MB is a lot stiff or firmer than most other cars. My 2002 coupe is a little stiffer than my BMW and both are a lot stiffer than a Volvo I used to own. If you feel yours is stiff, do as suggested and get it checked out or go for a test drive in a newer car.