Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lumpy idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:46 AM
dvm
Default lumpy idle

Hi
My c180 kompressor has developed a lumpy idle, the agent says I have done too many low revs short journies and this has caused the valves on number three cylinder to become sticky and gummy. His solution is tofit a new cylinder head - ouch this sounds a little extreme. I have tried running the car for a good distance in 3rd gear to try to burn off any residues but on returning home the car idled normally for 5 seconds then faultered and stuttered and the engine symbol displayed on the drivers panel came on again. It seems that the warning symbol on the dash resets itself every so often and idle is normal, then it suddenly goes lumpy again and the warning light comes on again. I would have thought that if the problem is withthe valves the symptoms would have been consistant rather than intermitant. Any ideas before I part with big money?

Old 05-31-2007, 07:11 AM
Default RE: lumpy idle

A good quality fuel system cleaner, and premium fuel.

I would not say anew head, thats a bit extreme.

w203 2001 Brilliant Silver - C320 Elegance - Black Leather - CD - Premuim Wheels - K&N Panel Filters x2 - 145,000+ Miles

ORIGINAL: dvm

Hi
My c180 kompressor has developed a lumpy idle, the agent says I have done too many low revs short journies and this has caused the valves on number three cylinder to become sticky and gummy. His solution is tofit a new cylinder head - ouch this sounds a little extreme. I have tried running the car for a good distance in 3rd gear to try to burn off any residues but on returning home the car idled normally for 5 seconds then faultered and stuttered and the engine symbol displayed on the drivers panel came on again. It seems that the warning symbol on the dash resets itself every so often and idle is normal, then it suddenly goes lumpy again and the warning light comes on again. I would have thought that if the problem is withthe valves the symptoms would have been consistant rather than intermitant. Any ideas before I part with big money?