Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low power at startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 PM
e10
Default Low power at startup

I have a c270 with a strange problem. On a cold start the power is very low. Seems that the turbo does not kick in. If I drive for a few km's, switch the car off and restart, everything is back to normal. It requires a restart to correct the problem. I have tried driving for a long distance and the low power issue never corrects until you restart. It seems the vehicle needs to warm up and then needs a restart. Any ideas out there. I did have the engine logs checked. No engine errors reported but some messages relating to the gearbox. It's auto transmission.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:30 AM

Sounds like a possible faulty sensor only reading upon start, so once the engine is hot then it reads it as such as kicks in the power. I wish I were more familiar with this car. My guess would probably be on temp sensor, probably on the engine block. Then again, I'm just shooting in the dark at blind leads. Anyone else with more experience have an idea?

Old 11-25-2010, 08:45 AM
e10

Originally Posted by BigSkyBenz
Sounds like a possible faulty sensor only reading upon start, so once the engine is hot then it reads it as such as kicks in the power. I wish I were more familiar with this car. My guess would probably be on temp sensor, probably on the engine block. Then again, I'm just shooting in the dark at blind leads. Anyone else with more experience have an idea?
Thanks for your thoughts. The agents want me to replace the injectors and the turbo. This seems illogical to me as the vehicle drives perfect after the warm restart. I also suspect a sensor or a fuel supply problem at cold start.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:07 PM
e10

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Could be simple issue like the turbo vanes sticking open from carbon causing limp mode when the ECU doesn't see the desired boost response. In which case a simple vane cleaning is all you need. Unfortunately problems like yours are very difficult to diagnose without hands-on interaction.

Are there any check engine light codes stored?
Hi. Thanks for your interest. I will try get the engine codes. A local mechanic took it to the agents for the test. Would you agree that injectors and turbo are probably fine if the vehicle drives perfect after the warm restart. The restart and temp seem to be the key. The problem does not go away until the restart is done. It seems that the ECU then gets the correct readings / responses once the engine has warmed up. The vehicle needs to stand overnight before the low power problem re occurs. When driving with low power, the turbo definitely does not kick in, but even flooring it you can't get much above 2000rpm, so the turbo threshold is probably not being reached.