Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Looking at a c230

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Default Looking at a c230

I've entered the market for a new toy. On my list is a C230 kompressor, mazda rx8, nissan 350z, or audi tt. From what I understand, the C230 lags a bit in power to weight ratio vs the other cars, but I heard that changing out the pulley on the sc will put 200hp to the ground. If so, an extra 30ish hp at the wheels will definitely put it up there with the rest. Can someone comment on this? I like all the cars, and in each one of them it will be a world of difference compared to the 9500lb diesel suv i've been driving for years. Also, manual transmission is mandatory, so I'm shooting for fun, economical, fits in a single parking space.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:20 PM

I just bought a 2000 C230 Kompressor in Dec.2010 . I knew Mercedes are expensive to repair . Thinking that Mercedes has a good rep. for reliability through out its history , I got this car from someone I knew for half of blue book , I only would be driving it on the weekends because I have a company vehicle , I figured the car would last me forever . Boy was I wrong . A few months ago the electronic key died and left me stranded . $900 for tow , labor , and new key . Only the dealer/stealer (average $100 an hr. labor) can program the key. Then the chk engine light came on , loss of power and erratic shifting . Borrow a scanner from autozone and narrowed it down to two codes . Replaced the cam shaft sensor myself and the car ran much better , but chk engine light returned with the other code for air fuel metering . Car was running good so I was get around to it when I got the chance . Yeh Right ! Last weekend I pulled into my driveway and all of a suddenly the shifter won't go past neutral into park . I killed the engine and was able to get it in park . Cranked the engine back up and it won't come out of park . Once again in less than 6 months the car is inoperable and I still haven't gotten to the air fuel problem yet . After reading these forums , trying to get some insight , it seems that these cars are plagued with problems . Unless you can trouble shoot and repair yourself , you are looking a minimum of a $1000 for each repair . I will never but an MB again . Good Luck!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I've expanded my list to mostly just be an slk 230 kompressor or bmw z4. I'm pretty good at wrenching myself, but some things are more than I"m interested in doing on my own. THe $ for the tow & key is insane. Still, on my diesel ford excursion and my escalade every time I go to the shop it's 1k+, siezed calipers, replace one shock with hydraulic leveler, replace a module for reverse sensor, it's always something, and they're never cheap. While it sucks, that wouldn't be that big of a shocker for me. Still, the problems with them are somewhat regular and predictable, and generally isolated to one part, and neither have ever left me stranded.