Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light Sensor malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Default Light Sensor malfunction

Hello,
I have a 02 C230 K and recently
there has been some kind of malfunction with
the light sensor. It causes the battery to be drained
of all power. Where do I find the light sensor, and
where do I get the replacement? We all know that it
should not cost the proverbial "500" to fix this. Any
help is greatly appriciated.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Default RE: Light Sensor malfunction

light sensor is on the windshield at the top in front of the rearview mirror. i dont know if anyone offers an aftermarket replacement. its also kind of difficult to get to from the inside to replace.

just to ask, have you turned the light switch off of auto and to the 0 position? this will keep the lights turned off, regardless of light sensor input. or are you saying that the sensor itself is having an excessive current consumption kind of problem?

Old 04-02-2007, 07:44 PM

Yes I have placed the switch in the 0 position to hopefully stop this.
Also yes to the sensor having some kind of current consumption problem.
Its as if the lights come on by themselves. We came in from the store, the lights went off
on their own. Later, I went through the garage to put out the trash they were on again.
I dismissed this, as it can happen if the keys are in your pocket the button can be pushed
inadvertantly. This however is not the case.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 PM

Not sure about the 02 but the 03 is located in front of the windshield in the grill between the wipers and is dome shapped.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:36 PM

there's current leak in the electricalsystem...how do u know it's the light sensor?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:08 AM

That is the malfunction thats given on th display.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:06 PM

Hi Nocept1,
I had the same message show up on my display. I went to the Dealer and they told me it was the light sensor/rain sensor that had to be replaced. I did notreplace the sensor yet. I only noticed this message show up in the morning when I started my car. After I drove it to work (10-15 minutes). After work when I started the car, no message on the display and no faults stored in the memory. The faults went away.My thought it might be the battery going bad (my C240 is a 2002). The drive to work charged thebattery enough for while.If I put a charger on the battery overnight, no error message in the morning. So I tookthe carnext door to the garage and had the mechanic put a load on the battery. When he did this, the battery voltage dropped to 6.5 volts after a 15 second load.
He told me my battery was probably on its way out. I replaced the battery and haven't had this "light sensor visit workshop" message again.
If you do happen to need your "light/rain sensor replaced. I believe the part is only available from the dealer at the moment. The cover snaps off the windshield fairly easy. If you need a diagram, I may be able to send one to you. I hope it's some simple. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Hey1st light, sounds very similar. I put a meter on the battery the ratewent up a littleafter everything
powered downbut itdidnt drop, but I did not try a load strait to the batt. The light sensor malfunctionis intermittent like yours was. This morning the batt was drained again, but only to where I put the charger on it for a second to get it to start. It also seems like its draining faster now. Perhaps it is the battery.
I will check that later today. Just seems kinda odd to give that malfunction message if its the battery that needs attention.
Thanks!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:40 PM

Nocept1,
Keep us informed on what the outcome is. You can take your car to the local auto parts outlet (NAPA or similar), and they can check the battery for you. Keep in mind that if you disconnect the battery from your car, you may have to reset the radio and maybe a few others things. My theory was when I started the car in the morning, the "starter" turned over the car slightly slower. It might have been enough to put a load on the battery to trip one (lights come on when you start your car in Canada) or more of the sensors. May not be in your case, it was for me. Those sensors are not cheap from MB ($279. cdn.+ install).

Old 04-25-2007, 11:57 PM

Ok all,
after getting rid of a 5 yr old battery, this problem seemed to have gone away.
Afterthe car satin the garage for perhaps a week, guess what? DEAD as can be.
The malfunction is still saying that its the light sensor. So after sitting in car for a
bit to ponder what the [:@]is going on with it, I hear this buzzing. The sound is
eminating from the light sensor. It soundslike a small fan or something that continues to run
well after the car has shut down. So tomorrow or sometime this weekend I will attempt to
disable that function till a further solution can be reached.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Light Sensor malfunction