Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Large Electrical Fault, Please Help :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Default Large Electrical Fault, Please Help :(

Currently looking at a friends c class mercedes 2001, 2.2td. It has a large elctrical problem and now i seem to be at a loss on how to solve it or even find the fault for that matter. So here are the symtoms and various info to see what you guys think, and thanks in advance....

1) Front left foglight is dead as is the directional indicator, both bulbs are fine however only 4.4volts are present, power is being shorted off somewhere..
2) Washer pump is dead as is heated nozzles. (No volts present at all). Again this uses the same earth point as the foglight and indicator so i am thinking this could be an earth fault or a short between both parts of the circuit.
3) All fuses are good, all relays are good as far as i have tested. The car is also dying and not holding its charge which again i think is related to the failed items. I think somewhere the circuit is shorting out or a connection with the earth. Its a nightmare to find where the exact problem is and i am hoping maybe someone has had this problem before, i keep feeling i am missing the very obvious somewhere.... Please help if you can and my email is thebelfastguide@live.co.uk

Old 01-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Probably a broke ground strap between the body and frame or body and engine, a short with a low enough resistance to reduce the voltage to 4.4 volts will produce major smoke! You are probably have a lack of ground, instead of short to ground. Take piece of wire from the ground terminal of the Fog light, to the engine block, if it starts working, look for a broken ground strap that looks like a braided bare wire. On my C230 there is one underneath the engine to the frame, there are several others scattered about on the car.