Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Ignition issue quick question..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Question Ignition issue quick question..

Hello there.. I have recently had ignition issues with my c class 2003, sometimes it would turn sometimes it wouldnt. Same with my spare key.

Dealership diagnosed it as a EIS or IES?? key barrel issue. And quoted me to replace it which i told them to go ahead and do.

Now they have called me and have said that its fitted and ready but i need to buy new a new key from them to match the new barrel installed.

Now to the point.... do they have a right to do this now? seen as they did not tell me this before? Why will my current key not work? it is not a metel key is it? its a infra red style key (i think). So surely it works with the brain of the car (ecu?) rather than the barrel.

Please help before i get stealership stung.

Last edited by matthugh; 02-03-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 PM

your old key should still work with a new EIS. ive replaced many EIS and never had to get a new key. but i guess maybe for some reason there is a software difference and you need a new key but i dont think so.

normally when you put an infrared key into the ignition there is almost instantly a click /motor noise for a second as soon as you put in the key.....this is the ignition lock unlocking....if your putting your key in and not hearing that click motor sound it could just be that you ignition lock is bad and not the EIS itself. the remote sends a signal to unlock the EIS first then youll be able to turn the key.

you should try to just put the key in and leave it in the EIS for 5 seconds or so before just trying to turn the key right away. sometimes it takes a second or two for the lock to unlock.
good luck.