Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need help making my car pass the 200k miles mark

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:39 AM
Default i need help making my car pass the 200k miles mark

hello there,

i got a 95 C220 with 160K miles on it, had it for 4 years, my plan is to make it go past the 200K mark. I got a few issues on the way though.

1. As of a month ago, the car's idling has been very weird. When i turn it on, the rpm goes just above 5,000 then drops then goes higher then drops and turns off. I was told it might be a fuel filter issue, which i have yet to replace because i really dont know where it is at. I did though, read a post on here about the location but it wasnt very clear as of how to remove it and replace it.

2. My speedometer only works when the CD player is on, or the whole unit is turned OFF, wont work when the radio is playing, i thought that was quite interesting.

3. Whenever i look under the car, there is oil on the bottom of the transmission cover.

4. Whenever i turn on the air, it is nothing near to cold, and it smells TERRIBLE.

5. Sunroof wont open anymore, and when im on the highway i can hear a rattle up there.

6. My low beams stopped working, so at night i have to use my high beams all the time. even when i move the rod to the towards me to use the high and low beams together nothing happens, neither the high or the low beams work then.

7. Cruise control does not work.

8. Gas and temp meters work whenever they feel like it.

My main concern really is the idling issue. The car would pretty much turn off every time i hit a red light. i would have to brake with my left foot, keep my right foot on the gas, and shift to nuetral every time i come to a stop and it got really really annoying, especially in traffic.

Any help would be appreciated, i really wanna push the car to 200K before i let it go for the new C class.

Thank you

Old 09-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Default RE: i need help making my car pass the 200k miles mark

Hey, I think it is time you realized there is more to owning a car than putting gas in it. This poor thing needs a professional mechanic to put things right. You are endangering your life and more importantly, mine by driving the car as you describe it. If you cannot take care of a car yourself or afford to pay someone to do it for you, then I suggest you take the bus! Please!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:55 PM

Fixing this laundry list will cost more than the car is worth.

-Eric

Old 09-24-2007, 04:08 PM

richard, thank you for looking at this post, however, i was looking for answers, not smart remarks.

if your really concerned about your safety on the road, then would you please stay out of the way

thanks again

Old 09-24-2007, 05:07 PM

That sucks man, your easiest problem was my biggest problem which is number 4. I hope you get it all worked out.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:43 PM

Ok rather than being a smart *** any further - you have alot of electrical gremlins - I would check the ground starting at the battery and make sure the ground is good - a bad ground could cause flakey electronic problems like what you are seeing.

-Eric

Old 09-24-2007, 05:54 PM

brad, what did u do about the smell, I researched it and it came out to b mold

Old 09-24-2007, 05:59 PM

eric, I have a sound system hooked in the car, and I think the installers did a horrible job, should I disconnect that first?

thanks man

Old 09-24-2007, 06:13 PM

Now you are cooking. Is that what happened most recently to cause this mayhem?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:36 PM

ive had the system for quite a while actually, but things started going out one at a time after installation, i mean it worked for a good 6 months problem free, then stuff started happening, there was once a spark in the back where the system is connected and stuff just was bad after that, there is not an interference over my speakers and subs and i had to disconnect my subs to get rid of it.

brake lights dont work together most of the time, either the right one or the left one works, the bulbs are fine but i dont know about the circuit.

Quick Reply: i need help making my car pass the 200k miles mark