Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Default HELP!!!!

I just ran over something in my 2005 C230 (I think it may have been a large rock) and oil is spilling out everywhere! Luckily, I was close to home and managed to pull it in the garage.

What do I do? Where is the oil tank located? I can't really see very well underneath because there's oil everywhere.

Can somebody advise me on what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Default RE: HELP!!!!

First of all, you need to identify the liquid. I know you said it was oil, but.......on your car, the oil pan and plug are located under
a black plastic-like underpan which is held on with small hex head screws. This is to protect the stuff underneath the car like what you are describing. Now, I'm not saying it ISN'T oil, but to diagnose this, you have to be sure. Did you hear the "large rock" hit the underneath of the car? And how far did you drive it like that? My advice: DO NOT START UP OR DRIVE THE CAR now. If the oil somehow was lost, so will your engine be if you drive it like that. So don't think you can make it to the garage. If you determine it is oil, the car MUST be towed to a garage for repair. No other way. Don't take any chances here. My opinion.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:23 PM

Do a oil level check to confirm loss of oil. If the under carage is covered as you say there should be low level indicated when you do the check . What ever you ran over could have damage the oil pan plug but you need to clean things up then remove the plastic skid cover.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:50 PM

I'm sure it's oil. The oil sensor triggered immediately after I hit the rock (I thought it was a piece of cardboard).

Luckily, I was on my block and managed to get the car home to see the rest of the oil spill onto my grage floor.

Looks like the damage is where the oil pan is and I called the MB service center and they quoted $1,100 for replacement and labor!

Stupid me.[&o]

Old 10-23-2008, 01:34 AM

I know I'll catch heck for this. I put a good cut in my oil pan before while working in the gas patch. My truck was stuck out in the middle of the forest. The company I was working for ran into town and got me several cans of starting fluid [ removes oily film] and JB weld [epoxy] cleaned off the oil pan mixed the JB weld on a 6"*6" piece of plastic and stuck it to the pan. Injoyed the wildlife for a few hours refilled the oil and drove it for three months until we had the parts and the time to do it. It's not pretty but it works. Atleast were ever you drive it to be fixed they don't see as big of $$$$ since it is running. It's not pretty but it will work

Old 10-23-2008, 01:37 AM

Until you said the oil light came on their is 3 diffrent oils under there. Motor, trany, power steering. Two are red though

Old 10-23-2008, 09:30 AM

OK!.....In your first post, you didn't say the low oil warning came on. I only said to check the fluids because, although there are other fluids of different "colors" that it could have been, when these fluids age, like tranny fluid, they turn the color of used motor oil.....dark....a really dark brown or black like oil if they aren't new, and that's why you will see people stick their finger in it and smell it.
Experienced mechanics know the difference right away. So, it's the oil pan. Well, all I can say is you must have run over something that was big enough to wipe out the pan right through the underbelly shield. YIKES. To do that to the car, I can tell you it was something big. At least you were smart enough not to drive it like that for very long. Good for you. You know you just saved yourself thousands of dollars! A new engine for that car......uhhhh.....you don't even want to know w/ labor, etc. Forget it. I know $1100 is a lot, but it could have been a LOT worse. Look at it that way.