Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

heelp..OK whats with the rust on the tire screws???

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Default heelp..OK whats with the rust on the tire screws???

seriously..... every single benz i have seen so far...even the c240 2006 believe it or not has rust on the screws..... why is that? mine has it too im sure the previous owner had to change it..is it possible to get different screws? not the actual ones from MB for their tires? Its making me soo mad i dont get it ...thats like a trade-mark for MB the rust on those darn screws..grrr. Ok i had to vent there for a sec lol... let me know if its possible to use different screws on those tires... or do i have to have other rims or what???

Old 08-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Default RE: heelp..OK whats with the rust on the tire screws???

i am having this same problem... with my lug nuts (i think that's what they are called) i've taken them to the dealership like 2/3 times and they have changed them and a month later they are rusted again... i just gave up. i wonder if there is a spray you can put on them to keep them from rusting again.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:49 AM

I don't think you can eliminate the rust entirely however I have been spraying the Lythium lubricant used by MB on locks/hinges/etc. onto the threads and it has worked very well.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:45 PM

My C36 came with original lug bolts that have chrome capped tops. I think the Mercedes lug bolts you guys are having problems with are made from very good quality metal for the application, but the surface corrosion is an eyesore. IMHO, not good enough Mercedes!

You can replace them with chrome lug bolts from Tuner Lugs (if I remember the brand correctly) which are also sold on eBay. There are probably other aftermarket options as well. Alternatively, you could have your standard issue bolts chrome plated. Hopefully the process would not change the material strength and other properties too significantly.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:50 PM

Thanks guys for for the reply i will try it with that spray too i just dont want my tires to fall off[]
My C36 came with original lug bolts that have chrome capped tops. I think the Mercedes lug bolts you guys are having problems with are made from very good quality metal for the application, but the surface corrosion is an eyesore. IMHO, not good enough Mercedes!

You can replace them with chrome lug bolts from Tuner Lugs (if I remember the brand correctly) which are also sold on eBay. There are probably other aftermarket options as well. Alternatively, you could have your standard issue bolts chrome plated. Hopefully the process would not change the material strength and other properties too significantly.
[/quote]

Old 08-31-2006, 08:53 PM

there lug nuts. most companies do not treat them. you can go to any tire store, discount tire, .. so on... and get new lugs. they sell stainless steal lugs, wish would soolve your problems. you can also get keyed lugs, making it impossible for someone to steal your rims and tires, hense they dont have the special tool o remove them.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:38 PM

oh that would be a good idea too because i do want to get some new shoes for my car...i just dont think i will this yr cuz winter is coming and all that soo nooo better if i dont

Old 08-31-2006, 11:05 PM

They do seem to rust more than any MB I've ever owned. I had all 20 replaced under warranty.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:12 AM

i had mine replaced with stainless and locks for the new rims

Old 09-01-2006, 01:47 PM

i think that is what im gonna do with the new ones..... that i want to get

but its ridiculous though.... i mean out of all these cars...MB seems to have the biggest prob with those rusting screws things....