Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Default RE: More than you ever wanted to know

I like the part about the assumed delays MB will have the the systematic mailing of notices and instructing dealers only to check them on a service visit. This part is a fact, I called the dealer where I got the my car and a local dealer and both said make a service appointment and we'll check it. I said to the local dealer, I want to make a service appointment to chech the balancer, they told me I would have to have a "regular" service appointment????? This answer was from the first campaign in April.
Someon on another board posted a while back the April 05 bulletin and it said nothing about the timing cover or oil pan.

What happens if you don't get your letter and your between services and the pulley goes, and the engine with it? Will MB give you a new engine?

Old 12-04-2005, 01:47 PM

that's a good point. if harmonic balancer wreaks havoc b4 u receive the notice, would benz cover the repair? i bet u have to file a lawsuit so that they will repair the car to avoid the trial.

my shifter shifts fine and stays in place. with worn out bushing, it vibrates and resonates the console during hi-revs.

thank you 280wiz.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:09 PM

You shouldn't get caught with your pants down. If the pulley breaks apart, you'll know it. You'll stop the engine before it is irreparably damaged. While it's getting ready to come apart the engine will shake noticeably. I mean really shake. If it does you'll shut it down, right? I doubt anything other than the power steering pump would be damaged, and that's only if you keep driving it like some clueless Yugo owner.

You should read the service notice from M-B to the dealerships really close. It tells the dealers not to start any campaign on their own. But, they can replace the pulley if a customer complains about engine vibration. You're getting the same service. Logistics is a real problem when over 350,000 cars are involved. This isn't a life-threatening isuue. Don't expect handstands from M-B. They only need to give it their best effort, not an extraordinary effort.

Who has the recall bulletin? I couldn't find one on this. I'm assuming it's a recall since everyone is calling it one. I found a defect investigation by NHTSA that was closed recommending no action since they found nothing wrong. I think it was just one of the numerous models included in this whole thing, so I'm not saying the issue as a whole is closed, just that I couldn't find a recall bulletin.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:27 PM

My car was not shaking and I was not "excited" nor "worried" about recalls on non-Detroit cars. I figured its a good thang that they replaced my pully that COULD become a problem in the FUTURE. I also happened to know that the dealership did it because of the financial incentive, not because of their kind god-loving heart of gold.

One time, Honda recalled and replaced the wire that drives the cooling fan for the AC radiator in the front for my Accord. It was non-critical and I can care less either way.

But...if I own a Detroit car, I'd better be looking out for recalls because they tend to invlove vehicular fires, gas tank explosion, or scenarios that may send you to the hospital or the morgue.

At least.....ex-fascists make better cars than Detroit.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:12 PM

My car was not shaking and I was not "excited" nor "worried" about recalls on non-Detroit cars.
My post was directed to C280 wizard, so I said nothing about your car "shaking" or you getting "excited." And who told you to worry about recalls on Detroit cars?

I figured its a good thang that they replaced my pully that COULD become a problem in the FUTURE.
Yeah, good "thang."

I also happened to know that the dealership did it because of the financial incentive, not because of their kind god-loving heart of gold.
I didn't say your dealership has a golden heart, or has a heart at all. Remember, I wasn't saying anything at all to you. They want your money or M-B's money, that's nothing new.

One time, Honda recalled and replaced the wire that drives the cooling fan for the AC radiator in the front for my Accord. It was non-critical and I can care less either way.
Recalls are safety-related. They include fires and other deadly things. Things like a cooling fan fall under TSBs and are not recalls.

But...if I own a Detroit car, I'd better be looking out for recalls because they tend to invlove vehicular fires, gas tank explosion, or scenarios that may send you to the hospital or the morgue.

At least.....ex-fascists make better cars than Detroit.
I'm not following your Detroit logic. NHTSA can force M-B recalls in the US of ex-facists' cars just like any other car.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:13 AM

At least...ex-fascists make better cars than Detroit.
I've always admired MB, like most car lovers in the world, and thought nothing of it. Then, after I bought one, I was watching a WWII documentary with a movie of Hitler standing up in a convertible in a parade. As the camera paned through the windshield, i saw it- my (now beloved) hood Star ornament (designed just like mine in every way) on his car. It left me kind of queasy for a moment. But then I remembered. Henry Ford was a great **** lover, while IBM helped the ***** too. After all, I still take Bayer aspirin from time to time-so I'm driving the same kind of car the **** maniac paraded around in; so what. The ***** were major league crazies, but I don’t condemn a whole ethnicity, through eternity, for the actions of some of their parents and grandparents. After all, America scooped of most of the good German scientists right after the war. Our incipient space program, among other things, was a direct result of
scientists who worked for Hitler. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Old 12-10-2005, 03:27 AM

Man, that's deep, RockSolid. If Hitler wore boxer shorts and you do too, that doesn't make you a **** either.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:12 PM

I just felt like musing a bit. Actually, Lugnut, it was your analysis of fly_major_fly's post that started me thinking.
BTW, boxer shorts may be evil: they don't give any support to your boys.

Old 12-10-2005, 06:00 PM

I hope you knew I was just kidding around too. Sometimes I can't help it.

Boxers are the shorts of choice if you're trying to make a baby because your demon-seed, I mean seed--just seed, stays cooler and more abundant and active. How can that be evil? Oh, wait. Let me think that one over some more...

Old 12-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Default RE: Harmonic Balancer

I'm not sure which "bushing" you're refering to. so.....

Here's some diagrams

Hope they help

[IMG]local://upfiles/5574/EC84041721E3411CAF502C8B9748917A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5574/77A582C10E194039971D8F4796C7B4B0.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer