Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

First Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 04:08 AM
Default First Car

I'm going to be driving soon and will most likely be driving a mercedes since my parents have fairly new cars. Well, my question is, what car do you recommend overall, looks performance, aftermarket parts, reliability etc., a 99-00 C230 kompressor or C280?

Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Default RE: First Car

I am a little confused by your statement "since my parents have fairly new cars.....(I) will most likely be driving a Mercedes". How does that work? If your parents had older cars would you most lkely be driving a Peugeot? How does 1+1=2?

As a new driver my list of recommended first cars would have any 7 year old Mercedes Benz WAY WAY DOWN the list.

Also I would not really worry about Aftermarket parts for your first car. Just try toget a reasonable car that will keep you somewhat safe and that will not cause you too much grief the 2-3 times that you are likely to damage it over your first few years of driving.

Sorry, that is just the basic facts for young drivers in the U.S. and their first cars.

-Eric

Old 04-19-2007, 02:15 AM

I said "my parents drive newer cars" meaning they are new and they don't want anything to happen to them.

Advice taken though, thx

Old 04-19-2007, 02:51 PM

Have you talked with your parents about what cars they're willing to look at for you? A C230K or C280 is a decently small car, but depending on maturity levels and the general safety of other drivers in the area it wouldn't be ruled out completely. I started out driving a 300E when I was 17, didn't have a car before then. It's decently small, but I was a careful driver and never got so much as a speeding ticket in it. Then I got a 2003 C230K and got a couple... [:'(] (The old 300E wasn't exactly performance oriented... I once tested the 0-60 [in a 55 mph zone] and it took the car 13 seconds lol. Hence no inclination to speed I guess...) I'd be very careful though in such a small car. A safer option would be a mid 90s E class or S class (those things are boats). Or an SUV.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:21 PM

Ihave a 99 c280 and love it. i have had only one big mantince problem and that was with the oil gasket or something, but lucky my parents paid for it. I find that it is quick and looks great. there are plenty of aftemarket parts for it if you just look around or club202.com has people who have moded thier cars.As for reliability i havent had too many problems besides 2 lightbulbs and the 7 year old battery( the owner before me decided to sell it to me instead of replacing it i guess) but hasnt ever broken down on me, butI have only had it for a year so...whatever. hope this helps.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:41 AM

Ya I have a 2000 C280 Sport I got for Graduation and it has been good to me and the ride is amazing.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:14 PM

At your age, this is my best recommendation:

A 1966 mustang fastback. Stock 289. Here's ten reasons why:

1. They look good.
2. Not too many people have them.
3. INSURANCE would be so low it would be laughable.
4. Your friends would be jealous.
5. EASY and CHEAP to repair.
6. APPRECIATES instead of DEPRECIATES every day.
7. You'd look cool.
8. You could learn to work on your own vehicle easily with a little help if you don't already know how.
Can't really learn much on today's newer cars or a MB.
9. You'd have ME to help you with it online. That's almost 42 years of experience on that one car.
10. Did I mention you'd look cool?

PS>Yes, I have one.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:11 PM

It also depends on where you live. I live in the Northeast where the snow storms are awfull and we are forced to store our cars away. I would also recomend a Muscle car if you live in Florida or southern Cal or somewhere where it doesnt snow.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:36 AM

Hope you realize I was only joking about the '66 mustang>>>>IF I were your age, I would put SAFETY up there on my list, although it's not sexy, it WILL help you in an accident, and this is something few people your age really consider. I mean, hey.....you want to live to enjoy your life, don't you?
Right. Get something that will protect you if something should happen. Driving these days isn't what it used to be. I'm sure you know this. Do the smart thing and make sure whatever you get has front, side, and if possible, curtain air bags and has a good or excellent crash rating. I never used to think about this. I do now. Absolutely. Doesn't have to be your driver error. Think about it carefully, then go enjoy your car.