Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Failed C280 instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Default Failed C280 instrument cluster

The instrument cluster on my wife's 1997 C280 has failed. Intermittantly all the instruments including the speedo stop working. Turn signals and warning lights continue to work, but the gauges do not. The dealer wants a fortune to replace the entire instrument panel and my local mechanic is stumped. Any suggestions on how to repair or where I can get a replacement? Thanks for any assistance.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Default RE: Failed C280 instrument cluster-bad LCD

Similar problem, I have a 2000 C230 Kompressor, the LCD is wigging out, initiall some of the digit of the odometer and mileage were not lit, slowly most of the numbers are no longer lit. When it is cold ouside, even the temperature indicator and driving gear indicator (D,R,N...) on the dash are partially lit or lit at the wrong cell. Dealer local said it would require a new LCD and they need "about $1000" and to keep the car for several days due to reprogramming the mileage of the car. Any advise from anyone ?

V.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

transfering the mileage and coding takes 5 minutes.

replacing the instrument cluster is 10 minutes.

i have no idea what they are going to do with next remaining few days.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the info, Sleepwalker. Do you know if there are independent garages that have the equipment to reprogram the cluster if I either get it replaced, repaired or replace it myself. The local dealers are noncommital on this problem and, seemingly, reluctant to reprogram it if I do not have then do the replacement themselves.

Old 02-05-2005, 02:38 AM

ORIGINAL: sleepwalker

transfering the mileage and coding takes 5 minutes.

replacing the instrument cluster is 10 minutes.

i have no idea what they are going to do with next remaining few days.
use it as a workshop runaround
hey sleepwalker where are the screws to take out the instrument cluster? as i need to replace a backlight?
also where is the plug for the speedo as i need to unplug it for sumthing

Old 02-05-2005, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

some got two small screw on the upper part which can be seen from a lower angle but newer ones got no more screw. you just simply pull it out.

you can disconnect the speedo cable first from below... somewhere on the top of brake pedal (you may need to remove the cover).

Old 05-11-2006, 12:42 AM

BBA-Reman Inc. in Massachusetts rebuilt my instrument cluster which had similar problems. It now works great! All for $245.00 which is about $8-900 less than a dealer wants for a new cluster. They also give a limited lifetime warranty with their work. So if you still have the problem, or if you see anyone else with a similar problem, tell them about this place. They really are a fantastic option to new. I live on the West coast and it took about 10 days to UPS back and forth, but it was worth it.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:29 AM

Well, I just bought a 99 C280 Sport which has the dreaded dash LCD problem. I also just sent my instrument cluster to BBA-Reman - We'll see how well they do in fixing it. I paid $245 (on eBay) which is a lot better than $850 quote from the dealer. The most difficult part is removing the instrument cluster from the dash, which I did by modifying some coat hangers.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:00 AM

You should be getting it back any day now. I'm interesed to see how it went for you. They did a great job for me.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:04 PM

I have a burned out bulb behind the clock in the instrument panel. I assume you made hooks out of coat hangers. Where on the instrument panel did you insert them? high and low, left and right?
Also, do you know which bulb I should use? The local MB dealer (1 hour drive away) said to bring the old one in and they could match it. I'd rather take the panel out, replace the bulb, and put it back together all in one operation. Thanks '99 C280.

Quick Reply: Failed C280 instrument cluster