Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Factory Alarm Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Default Factory Alarm Issue

Hi

Bought 1997 c 280 about a week ago,everything is working fine so far,but the factory security alarm does not work,alarm light blinks after shutting off the engine,door/trunk opens/locks with the remote,replaced batteries on the remote.Affraid to take it to a dealer,what can be wrong ?Should I get a different alarm system?

Also driving it for the first time on the freeway earlier today,I was doing 80,all of a sudden some sort of object flew out of nowhere and hit the car on the passenger side , then when I looked to the side I saw my passenger side mirror glass was not there anymore,it was gone,how can I replace it,should take it to body shop or buy a mirror glass from online and try to attach it myself,side mirror handle is still there,seems ok but I will check during daylight tomorrow.

thanks for any help

Old 10-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Factory Alarm Issue

Get a used mirror off of ebay or if u cant find one there try this place.

http://potomacgermanauto.com/

Old 10-22-2006, 08:18 PM

thanks,I will try this site,

I also found this one

http://www.partstrain.com/products/A...C-280-001.html

Old 10-23-2006, 05:00 PM

AS far as the alarm, try the old disconnect the negative battery cable for at least 10 minutes, 30 minutes is better. Reconnect and see if the alarm works again. Also, these alarms are not like the ones you get after market. When I first got my 99 C280 I thought it didn't work either. I as told as long as the light on the dash is blinking the alarm is OK. But my car is two year newer then yours, so I can't swear to this on yours. But the battery trick resets the main computer back to default. If you have an owner manual and you have such accessories as one touch window controls, they will have to reset, the manual outlines all the procedures when the battery has been disconnected for whatever reason. The electronic key also, which will reset the alarm. At least on my car the electonic key needs resetting as well as the ESP, sunroof, radio code needs to be re-entered, as the radio is tied into the cars alarm system also. Plus a couple of other things need resetting but escape my mind at the moments.
Here is something to try, get in the car and press the lock button on your remote and the open the driver's door the alarm should go off. if not then try the reset procedures. The alarm is the horn by the way. Does your horn work? Check the fuse box for the horn fuse.

There are plenty of sellers on eBay that sell the mirror, it is a simple install they just pop in. Then move the whole unit back and forth to see if the mirror is seating correctly. Hold your hand over the mirror in case it is not. I believe I paid, with my MBCA 20% discount $135 for the mirror for the passenger side a few years ago at my local dealer. The driver side is cheaper as it is not concave like the passenger side. Here's a tip, spray some lube inside the housing, the spring, and any movable joints. Lithium grease is the best after market, or buy the Mercedes product made for the mirror, it can also be used on the sunroof if you have one. It very much looks like vasoline IMHO.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:28 AM

thanks a lot for your post,really appreciate it,I will try for the alarm,as soon as i can get a hold of the users manual,also I've already ordered the mirror glass from the link I posted above,waiting for it,the mirror handle looks fine.

thanks again,

Old 10-26-2006, 03:33 AM

I have located the user manual and the radio code,I will try it this weekend,
I have only recieved the mirror glass no frame or bracket,could not put it in ,I will try the dealer or a junkyard.