Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine ticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 03:45 AM
Default Engine ticking

I bought myself and my wife a Mercedes c350 Luxery 4-matic and I could always tell there was something a little diffrent between the two cars. Nothing majorly diffrent. It just seemed that each car had its own personality.

Yesterday, I washed the cars and started hers up to move it back into the garage when I heard the engine ticking. I would say it has been about a couple of weeks since I drove her car so this noise is recent.

Both cars are brand new. Mine had 5 miles on it after delivery. Hers had 50 miles on it after delivery. All the original miles are from us.

Both cars currently have 6500 miles on them after 6 months of use.

Her car makes a ticking noise that is only audible while in the car. It sounds like it is coming from the dashboard when you try to focus on the noise. You can hear it when you open the hood, but you really have to concentrate.(only detectable when you get your ear right up to it). The tick is there whether the car is warm or cold. The tick is also audible when you step on the gas. It only goes away at higher RPM because the tick happens at a rate that you cannot distinguish it.

The engine also seems to whine when accelerating hard, does not have as much power (seems to be held back by something) and it also shifts at higher RPM's vs. my car. It almost feels like the computer draws out each gear a little longer than it should.

I just had it in about two months ago for a low oil light. They ran the usual tests to weigh the oil and topped it off. So far, the light never came back on and a check of the dipstick shows the oil to be ok.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Edited to add Luxury 4-matic in addition to the model number

Old 05-14-2006, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine ticking

welcome acery.

car makes a ticking noise that is only audible while in the car
did it only happen after washing the car? same noise can occur from different sources. i hope some members got same encounter before and can enlight you.

The engine also seems to whine when accelerating hard, does not have as much power (seems to be held back by something) and it also shifts at higher RPM's vs. my car
the shift pattern must have adapted to her driving style. also the sensor rotor adaptation.
ask the dealer to reset it to factory settings the next time you visit them. observe if the shifting have improved.