Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Shakes Whole Car C280 HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Default Engine Shakes Whole Car C280 HELP!!!

I have a 1995 C280, Automatic Trans

Can be skipped--> I bought a 1995 Mercedes C280 for under $4,000 at an auction not too long ago. Of course I expected there to be something wrong, but when I drove it home the only thing I noticed was that I needed to get new tires. Then after driving the car for about 2 weeks the Check Engine light came on and a nicerattling sound came from near my serpentine belt and my brake fluid.

The Problem --> Once I heard the noise and the check engine light came on I took it to the only place I found that could read check engine lights for free. But they obviously didn't help because all they said was that the reading said that something about the Knock Sensor. So I researched and found that the Knock Sensor is also called the Detonation Sensor. But I couldn't find any other information about it, as to what could set itoff to send acode and a check engine light.

So I just kept driving because I had to get to work and I thought that only 16miles a day wasn't going to hurt my car. Then the noise became louder, and some mornings my car wouldn't start the first time I turned the key. It sounded as though it didn't want to turn over. Then I noticed that my car would make a loud rattling, or constant clunking sound when I was stopped and idling.

Before I went on vacation my car started shaking when I would stop at a light, literally shaking because the engine was running so rough. The car felt as though a midget was in the back seat jumping back and forth and up and down.

I bought a new serpentine belt, and I can't figure out how to loosen the belt and replace the old one. I also noticed that my car likes to overheat when I drive it on the freeway and when I use to turn on the heat. If anyone knows where I can get a diagram of the serpentine belt and anything else that might help me figure out the problem I will love you forever.

My boyfriends Audi A4 just had the timing belt slip and so we are going to be spending about $5,000 on parts for the head, valves, and all other crap. If anyone knows where I could get parts for an Audi or if anyone can help me with my Mercedes it would save me a butt load of money! Thanks!

[sm=partyparty.gif]I may be a girl but I love working on cars. I replaced the engine in my old Saturn when my sister owned it and the head gasket blew! I LOVE MY BENZ!!! but I hate the way the Germans engineered it!

[sm=smiley10.gif]Little Miss Megan

Old 07-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Default RE: Engine Shakes Whole Car C280 HELP!!!

I have a similar problem with my 95 C220.
My car will shake when idling sometimes.
Turning off the car while fix the problem temporarily for me. is that the case with you?
I have been researching this and have talked with 3 mercedes mechanics and had one do a diagnostic.

Here is what they tellme:

Probably Causes.

Spark Plugs - Unlikely a bad spark plug is the only problem but these should be changed every 2 years.

Ignition Coils. - Biggest chance this is your problem in my opinion.
Most mechanics will tell you this is the problem also. The coils cost $100 per coil. Your car will have
a coil for each cylinder so if you have a 6 cylinder it would be $600 to replace all of them. But there
is a good possibility just one coil is bad.

If that doesnt fix it then:

Mass Air Flow Sensor - expensive part about $200-$350 depending on how hard you look.

Wiring Harness - This is a common problem with these cars.

Mostmechanics will do a free computerdiagnostic on your car. I recommend that.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:59 PM
NAZ

in your case u only have 3 coils,1 coil fires 2 clyinders,your engine is a104 sright 6,this engines saffer from wiring harness of the engine check the harness for any cracks,special the wiring for the coils trace the wirinngfrom coil to injectors if all look ok,then check the the spark plugs for any cracks if ok will require coils................

Old 07-27-2007, 06:47 PM

My younger brother, my boyfriend and I finally figured out what was wrong when we put our heads together. But now there is still a problem...

The problem was that when I replaced the spark plugs it was in the dark cause I get home from work late. So I didn't put the coil packs on correctly, and apparently with all of the checking and opening the top lid thing on my engine to reach the spark plugs, someone ended up stripping the holes that the screws go in. So the lid didn't sit tight on the engine and I am guessing it has to so that the coil packs are tightened and not loose.

So after I went to a junk yard and tested the coil packs (long story too long to explain how I did it), I noticed that it was loose, so when I got home my brother and boyfriend ended up re-lining or whatever the wholes so that the screws fit. Then I looked at a diagram, placed the coil packs and wires back correctly and now my engine doesn't shake like it use to.

Here is my new problem:
I hear a little rattling from the serpentine belt, which I have been reading that you should replace your pulley or the tensioner when you replace the belt. I can't get the serpentine belt off cause I have no clue what is what and what to unscrew!

The next problem is that as I was driving home from work, and clearing the codes, the CEL came back on. So I scanned it, and cleared it and drove to work and home again the next day and it came on again. The code I got was P1170. Which read: Short term fuel malfunction.

What is that?

Also I don't think that my vacuum pump works anymore. I hear a clicking coming from under the steering wheel like once every couple of minutes. Not sure what that is.