Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:52 AM
Default Emergency mode

Hi,

I have a C200 CDi automatic which has done approx 118,000 miles of mainly motorway driving. In the last 2 weeks the car when put under any kind of pressure, i.e. accelerating hard, goes into emergency mode and loses power. It will still drive but there is no real thrust or normal acceleration. Switching off the engine and restarting gets the car back to normal operation temporarily until the next time I apply any pressure. This can happen at slow speeds as well as at high speeds. I've had diagnostics run on the car and no 'events' are showing up so the garage don't know what the fault is. They've tried replacing the air flow meter with a new one but that didn't make any difference. The last time this phenomenon happened was yesterday and this time the engime management system symbol lit up. This has not happened before.
Does anyone have any ideas what the most likely cause of my problem might be? The car is just 2 months out of manufacturers warranty so I've been told that I will have to pay if it goes into a Mercedes garage.

Any help would be appreciated as I need the car for business purposes and I don't want to drive it with this warning light on. My regular garage closed today for an annual holiday so I can't take it there.

Thanks,

John

Old 06-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Default RE: Emergency mode

hi i have the same problem but in my case the asr lamp lit up when i throttle fast and some have told me that maybe its the throttle body thats is failing
but i dont know tomorrow my car is going to be tested in a car shop so i hope i learn more then i have a c280 95 mod

Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 PM

I have a 2001 C320 (w203) - NOT Diesel..
Mine too has developed some crazy fault, driving normally its acceptable, if i start to use the 3.2 v6 power then it seems sluggish - with little thrusting power , then it will spin the wheels at 60mph!! WITH THE TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT BLINKING.

After driving it hard the Engine maganement light will come on, and the exhaust emisions smell very strong like rotting vegetables.

After a couple of days driving normally the light goes off, I was hoping its a MAF/MAS that need replacement, its a 2 minute job. [8D][8D] Done 146,000 miles, so i suppose this would be normal.

Further more, I was over taking 3 cars and then a bus in the same line the other day, they were doing 26mph in a 40 zone!!! WATCH FOR THE THREAD.... I lost power to on coming traffic!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2007, 06:47 AM

Hi again,

I've had my problem diagnosed as a P0034 Turbo dump valve failure. We're trying to get a new valve but what its replacement is going to cost is anybody's guess at the moment. Two friends of mine, one with an E220 (2004) and the other with an S Class have also both recently developed the same symptoms!

John

Old 01-21-2024, 04:25 AM
Default Diving on emergency mode

Originally Posted by johnsev
Hi,

I have a C200 CDi automatic which has done approx 118,000 miles of mainly motorway driving. In the last 2 weeks the car when put under any kind of pressure, i.e. accelerating hard, goes into emergency mode and loses power. It will still drive but there is no real thrust or normal acceleration. Switching off the engine and restarting gets the car back to normal operation temporarily until the next time I apply any pressure. This can happen at slow speeds as well as at high speeds. I've had diagnostics run on the car and no 'events' are showing up so the garage don't know what the fault is. They've tried replacing the air flow meter with a new one but that didn't make any difference. The last time this phenomenon happened was yesterday and this time the engime management system symbol lit up. This has not happened before.
Does anyone have any ideas what the most likely cause of my problem might be? The car is just 2 months out of manufacturers warranty so I've been told that I will have to pay if it goes into a Mercedes garage.

Any help would be appreciated as I need the car for business purposes and I don't want to drive it with this warning light on. My regular garage closed today for an annual holiday so I can't take it there.

Thanks,

John
Pls ask the workshop or foreman to check the gear shift sensor as this happened to me