Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership just quoted $405 for plugs in a C230K

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 01:37 AM
Default Dealership just quoted $405 for plugs in a C230K

I just called the Mercedes dealership here in Phoenix to ask how much to replace the four spark plugs
in my '05 230K which now has 103K miles on it. That wasn't a typo. Yes, I drive it. OK......so just for the heck
of it, I wanted to see the cost of the plugs from them and the labor to put them in. It's a plastic cover on the engine to remove, four coil packs, and the plugs are under there. Right? Right. $405 and they wouldn't tell me how much was parts (plugs) and
how much was labor. "We don't have the BREAKDOWN, sir" is what they said. This is considered the premier MB dealership
and service dept. in Arizona, period. Doesn't matter anyway, because I already bought the plugs on the web from a place where I buy all my maintenance stuff, and the price was about 12 bucks a plug. That's $48.00 in parts and I'll do it myself.

I'll bet you I can do that job in less than an hour if I work SLOWLY. I will take some pics for all of you so you can do it
yourself when and if the time comes and save a bundle. Already did the fuel filter and again, MB's price to do that job was
absolutely ridiculous. Thirty minutes after I had the rear of the car in the air on a floor jack, I had the new filter in and
started the car.

I know....I know....."owning a Mercedes comes with a price". Heard that a million times. BUT> once out of warranty, don't
you want to save money on things you may be able to do yourself? I'm not talking about people who are not qualified to
do mechanical work....I mean those of us who work on cars and have for some time. Between the spark plug job and the
fuel filter job, I SAVED enough money to buy a new set of tires. That's right.....that's the difference.

Oh, and by the way, this is how they treat a person who BOUGHT a new car there.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Default RE: Dealership just quoted $405 for plugs in a C230K

Great. I am looking forward to the picks. I have always worked on cars myself, but I am a bit apprehensive with the 1996 C220 I just bought.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:06 AM

This is getting good already.....putting the new plugs in tomorrow.

Mercedes dealership would not tell me the cost breakdown between the labor to do the job and the parts.
That's right. WOULD NOT TELL ME. I asked them just for the heck of it. I was really wondering how badly they
were gouging me for just the plugs. The service manager told me.......get ready for this one.........

"There are TWO PLUGS PER CYLINDER on those four cyl. motors", so you'll need eight!"

Now that raises a question, doesn't it?...... IF I had taken my car in for this job, do you think.......uhhhh......well....
you know what I'm going to say, don't you.

Pics coming soon.......

Old 06-30-2008, 02:27 AM

Where are those pictures ?
I'm at 66K miles and would like to chage gas filter, spark plugs, and the
aut. transmission oil.

thanks,
VC

Old 06-30-2008, 08:18 AM

Victor, click on the camera under my name. Also, if you search for these things, another site member put up a ton of info.
and some good pics as well. If you hit a snag, I'll help you out.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:07 PM

wow 103k on an 05! Is it all highway miles? On my 2000 C Class I need new sparks also. How much at an independante shop?

Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM

You have to understand how most dealerships work (not just MB dealers). You have sales people in service called Service Advisors that are paid on commission. Their job is to size you up andsell you as much as possilble for the highest price possible. While many people will negotiate their little hearts out with the salesman in the blue suit, they gladly hand over their credit cards to these SA's. The way to approach to save money isfirst find the old timers, never a young guy as they are too greedy, ask the salesmen who the best SA is. On yourfirst service, bring the SA a gift, he's yourbuddy at the dealer, he decides on how much pain hewants to inflict.If you question something, ask him nicely that you are facinated by all this and can he show you. Also ask for the same SA as he loves return business that asks for him, he's commissioned.

Or, give up on dealers and find a good honest mechanic. Never look at hourly shop rates, that's unimportant, look for honesty, competency and thouroughness.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 PM

Well said. Like everything else, it's all about making money. Just the way it is.
And by the way, my '05 with now 131,000 miles and still going, is 90% highway miles to answer the person who asked.
I'm going to 200,000+ no matter what.
Stay tuned.
This could get interesting.
Ha!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 PM

DEALER IN ATLANTA $174.00 TO REPLACE PLUGS.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 PM

I don't see how any dealership would charge $405 for a 4 cylinders engine with 4 spark plugs. If you want good deals and want to know what's going on with your car. Talk to the Tech that's working on your car. Service Adviser does not set the rate... the Tech who's working on your car does. SA can change it alittle... but most of the time is the Tech. I'm a Tech at a MB dealership... for changing a spark plugs on a 271 engine I would have charge no more than a hour. So no more than $170....

Quick Reply: Dealership just quoted $405 for plugs in a C230K