Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Compressor or Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:57 AM
Default Compressor or Clutch?

Recently we noticed a strange noise under the hood, and a burning smell. Pulled over, popped the hood and I saw a little stream of smoke coming from the front of the AC compressor. Shut off the climate control and everything is OK (except of course, for no AC). The EC light is now on. I'm sure that compressor replacement will be a small fortune. Is there anyway to diagnose weather it is just the AC clutch and maybe the compressor is OK?

Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Default Compressor

Where is the smoke coming from? Clutch or belt? Did you just had the freon refilled?

Alan.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 AM

Smoke appeared to be coming from the clutch, no the frean had not been refilled.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Default Compressor

When the engine is cool, try to turn the clutch (the frontmost piece) by hand see if you can turn it, if you can then it is the clutch, if you can't it is most likely to be the compressor. The thing is if it is the compressor you can find one from a junk yard complete with clutch, just make sure the pulley are the same size or you can overrev it if it's too small or if it's too big ti won't get cold on idle.

Alan.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Thanks. Looks like it is the compressor. I got a quote of $1600 to replace the Compressor, dryer/accumulator. Obviously, I can get the parts for much cheaper than that. Would like to do it myself, done just about everything on cars except for AC charging. I could get a set of manifolds for the charging of the system (and still be way ahead cost wise). I just don't know about adding oil and such. Any "how to's" out there on Compressor replacement and system charging?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Default ac compressor

Depends where you get the compressor from. If you get it from a junk yard it's hard to say if any oil leaked out. If you get it from a parts store (Rebuilt) it is usually already comes with oil. Make sure you get one with the clutch already installed as the old one is probably burnt up anyway. If you replace the filter drier also I would get a can of pressurized oil and put an ounce in the system through the manifold, be REALLY careful with the oil on your hand as it will take moisture right out of your skin in such a way that it will burn it. The whole system shouldn't take more than 2lbs of R-134 freon but the sticker under the hood should tell you how many pounds it takes. You need to put a vacuum to the system for about 15 minutes to boil off all the moisture, it should pull about 29 inches of vacuum. After 15 minutes (or 30 if you want to make sure all the moisture is gone), shut both low and high side and make sure the vacuum holds for at least 10 minutes, if it doesn't you have a leak somewhere in the system. Let me know if this is enough info for you.

Alan.