Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Default Check engine light...

Last night during a bit of spirited driving along with a friend in his 2005 Honda S2000, my check engine light illuminated. We had come to a stoplight and had a accleration battle up to about 70mph. After that my check engine light illuminated and the car sputtered for a few minutes. I pulled over and turn the car off, waited for a few minutes then started it. After I started it ran fine (and still does) but the light is still illuminated. I may have touched the rev limiter but I didnt abuse the car in any way. Are these cars that sensitive? This is my first Mercedes and I like to do some spirited driving from time to time, but I find this unacceptablefor any car!

The car: 2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor 6 speed, with the AMG sport package, 15,000 miles.

Patrick

Old 08-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Default RE: Check engine light...

I have just had the same, although i was only tootling along at around 30mph! My car is a C180K sports coupe. When i came to stop at a traffic light the car was rocking and misfiring, nearly cutting out so i turned ignition off and then back on and it seems fine now, although check engine light is still on.

I was going to take it into Mercedes to get a diagnostic done although they warned me that the car may have registered a fault and then cleared itself and they may never diagnose the actual fault, the car may run fine from now on though and the diagnostic is £95!

Are you just driving along with your check engine light on and is it running ok now? Has anyone replied to you about this fault?

Thanks
RK4406

Old 08-24-2006, 06:26 AM

is this the second time that you have this problem? I remember you posting about it and getting it fixed. https://mercedesforum.com/m_52461/tm.htm

Old 09-12-2006, 11:13 PM

No its only happened once, the last post was just a reply to the first since a few owners had questions. Now the car runs better than ever but I wont be keeping it as long as I hoped, Ill be getting rid of it WELL BEFORE the warranty runs out. I love the car but its too much trouble sometimes. This is my first German car (Im used to Acuras/oil changes and gas) and next I think I might try a 3 series, as Ive grown fond of the new look with the Sport pkg. I love that German look, feel, design, and the attention from others but hate the rediculous maintenence costs, electrical glitches, and odd/unexpected repairs. I couldnt imagine keeping these cars after the warranty goes. And yes, before anyone asks, I can afford to purchase the car as well as own it.

Patrick

Old 09-12-2006, 11:55 PM

we have two vehicles in the shop right now both with 111 motors. i am assuming its the same motor you have. when u pop the hood the coil cover is red. on the front of the cam is the adjuster pull the electrical connector of and see if there is oil in it, if so unplug the electrical connectors at the engine control unit. i dont remember off the top of my head if its in the left or right side box at the firewall.
its the control module with around 6 electrical connectors. unplug the connectors if there is oil in the connector the engine wiring harness needs to be replaced, the oil pushes its way through from the cam advance unit which will also need to be replaced and an updated wire connector to prevent it from happening. the symptoms of theses 2 vehicles are exactly the same and the only codes i got were for the front o2 sensor. just thought id throw that out there since its easy to check.

i see the original poster if this has a 05 which probbably has the 271 engine. but for anyone who has the 111 engine with same symptoms this is for you

Old 09-13-2006, 12:29 AM

You must remember the motto! "Mercedes, the world's most perfectly engineered car." "BMW, the Ultimate Driving Machine." I've never forgotten these mottos. They are distinct. And I'm reminded of them when I become frustrated at them. The Mercedes is finicky, as only a premadonna will be. The Bimmer, that's my Tonka Toy. They are investments of not only money, but time and energy as well. Opportunity costs! And it cost to look good. The question is, are you willing to pay?

My automobiles, I fix them just as soon as they start cuttin-up! I don't wait. I'm always diagnosing. Being mindful of how they sound, feel, smell, and look. They're timeless investments. And when I tire of them, I'll go get me a Chrysler, which is essentially a Mercedes.[8D]

Old 09-13-2006, 02:11 AM

It's best if you can check the code and post what code you are getting but here is a common problem for what you are describing.

Check carefully for leaks in the induction system.

If you've got a leak, it will trigger the check engine light.

Hope this helps!