Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Change Brake pads & Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Default Change Brake pads & Rotors

Hey i searched but didn't find much that were helpful.

I have a 2005 C230 Kompressor Sport. I need to change out the brake pads and rotors. Do i need any special tools? I read that it only takes 1 sensor which is at the front right wheel. Also what brake pads and rotors do you recommend? Should i just get OEM? Does anyone have a DIY with pics. Thanks

Old 04-11-2009, 08:46 AM

Search for MrCoyote, he had a nice writeup on doing it,

Old 04-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Talking

Mrcoyote here> OK>you're right. Your '05 C230 only has one brake sensor on the right front. Don't buy four of them! They are only about 8 bucks anyway, but you only have one.
I myself use the factory pads and factory rotors, although you can use others if you like. Brake dust, a common complaint, is minimized if you use some of the non-factory pads, but I have tried a few of them and yes, it's a bit better, but there is no such thing as dustless.
Mercedes claims theirs is minimal dust, or at least the last set I bought from them was a "low dust" pad, and they have lasted pretty well. The rotors on these cars are meant to be replaced, not turned. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, just that MB won't usually do it on any car that needs pads. I figure my brakes are worth my life in an emergency, so I just replace the rotors w/ the pads. You can do this job yourself, and I can't remember posting the steps, but I do know they have been posted on this site at least once, with or without pics. I posted pics of a spark plug change, fuel filter change, and some other things. I think somebody else did the brake pics. But, then again, my mind is constantly in a fog, so.......
go for it. Maybe you could take some pics along the way and post them for future reference. Or not. Up to you. Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:27 PM

Personally, I also suggest you use OEM pads and rotors. I tried a non-OEM pad to reduce brake dust and solved that problem but experienced very poor braking, especially when the pads were wet or even damp. The car took much longer to stop. Never again for me. They were downright scary.
However, I have had several rotors re-surfaced at different pad changes, but only once per rotor. I have had no problems with the re-surfacing. The cars were serviced at MB (except for the non-OEM pads).

Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. So far I've changed the rear pads and left the rotors alone because they seemed to be ok still. As for the fronts i plan to change out the rotors but how do i take them off? I have a T-30 bit but after i use that i don't know what to do. I haven't changed the front pads yet because I'm having trouble taking off the rotors. I'll try to take some pics on how to do it.

For the rears i spent a while trying to take off the pads.
Heres some instructions
REAR PAD REPLACEMENT DIY.

Take off the wheel 17mm.
Look at the caliper. There is a something that goes through the brake pads from one end of the caliper to the other. This is what holds the brake pads together. Looks like a stick/pole. Its kinda small. You can see a clip there as well which also helps hold the pads in place.
In order to take that off you need a punch but you can also use anything else that is like that. I used a allen wrench.
After you take that pole/stick out you can remove the 2 17mm bolts holding the caliper to the rotor/hub located in the back. Then you can take off the caliper.
After that is removed you can take the old pads out and insert the new ones and put everything back the way you took it out. Hope this helps

Last edited by Blue_AP2; 04-13-2009 at 11:42 AM.