Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I relace the brakes on a 2002 Mercedes C-240 myself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Default Can I relace the brakes on a 2002 Mercedes C-240 myself?

Is it the same as regular cars...(ford, chevy, etc.)? And a service tech just told me I need new brakes and rotors for the front and rear.....I can see the brakes but rotors on a car that only has 53K miles on it? Is that possible.....and why can't they turn the rotors?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Default RE: Can I relace the brakes on a 2002 Mercedes C-240 myself?

In my younger years, (300SD, 230C) I would always do this, not at all difficult. Getting the rotors off was more of a problem! If the pads have worn into the rotors then you may need to change them, if they look good then just check the thickness to see if it is in range - too thin and they get too hot.

I was also told that they get too shiny and need to be "roughed up", even if they look good and are thick enough. There comes a point though when they are too thin and removing any more material makes them unsafe. If my rotors looked tolerable I used to install new pads and then go carefully for a while to break them in and have them conform to the rotor nicely. Not recommended though... Too thin can be bad.

Lawrence

Old 02-07-2008, 05:15 PM

Just like doing regular brakes, it's the 211 and 230's you have to be carefull of because of sbc. general rule of thumb is two sets of pads to a rotor replacement. if your not sure measure never cut.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the response. This was an off-lease car and I got it right after the factory warranty expired. I will definatley have my husband measure them. MB wants $980.45 to do front and rear brakes and rotors.
Does anyone have any sites to suggest replacement parts.
I have pulled these 3 from this site and others....duval motos, autohausaz.com, and alleurasianautoparts.com.

What's the best brake to buy? I hate the dust but if it's the best, I'll put em right back on.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:46 PM

MB is making the rotor out of a material that also wears out with the pads and should be changed every time you change the pads. This is for better breaking performance and MB and good mechanics recommendation. I got the breaks on my C-240, 03 changed with an experience mechanic, but got the parts from MB.
Thanks
KenZ

Old 02-08-2008, 01:21 PM

MB Rotors are not turned. They are replaced. Autohausaz sells them very cheaply.
Yes You can do the Brakes, Rotors, Sensors, everything yourself.
IF you are mechanically inclined.

Tomorrow, I am doing Brakes, front and rear, rotors, sensors, Oil Change, Differential,
Tranny, Air, Power Steering.

Dang; it'll be a full day I think whew.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 PM

I just did my 01' C320. replaced all the pads with Ceramic so they wouldn't dust my wheels so bad. It was a piece of cake. The fronts were just like a Chevy or a Ford. two bolts hold the caliper on, pull the caliper, use a clamp to push the piston back in, replace the pads, sand/scuff the disc up a little to remove the glaze and put it back together. The one slightly tricky part is making sure to put the brake sensors back into the pads. My pads didn't have holes for them so I had to drill the wholes for the sensor into the side of the pads to faucilitate mounting them. Once you get hte pads off you'll see what I mean.

The rear pads were so easy I was smiling from ear to ear. Literally drive out a pin that holds the pads in place. Use a long screw driver to gently pry the pistons back in, drill your little sensor hole in the side of the pads and place them in place of the old ones and put the pins and little spring metal bracet back and your done. Took me about 30minutes each pair of wheels.

If you have done it on a American car you can do it on the mercedes. They are simple, more simple than american cars. It really bogels me that the dealer gets so much for changing brakes.

Now this was just replacing pads, my rotors were in good shape and didn't need turning. If they do, there will be some more labor involved of course.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:26 PM

Can this be done on the 06 350? Any restrictions-any suggestions for parts purchase?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:20 AM

I did my rear breaks yesterday on a '04 C230. It took no more than an hour. It's an easy job.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:12 AM

I have a 2005 E320. I am wanting to do the break and rotor replacement myself (my son will acctually do it). Can I do it myself as my son is very mechanically inclined? Is there any special concerns?

Quick Reply: Can I relace the brakes on a 2002 Mercedes C-240 myself?