Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI Addition, I went to Pep Boys

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Default CAI Addition, I went to Pep Boys

and found a three ft flexible hose, and a adapter to fit into the "nose of my cone filter" I am going to run the hose to the spot behind the grille where the OEM filter box got air, Or perhaps fabricator some sheet metal and mount it to a opeing below the CAI and covered by the OEM and attached the other end of the hose. If I can find one of those clothes dryer hose adapter at the hardware store and it is the right dmenions and the holder is 3" more or less, that would be better. As I don't have a welder to handle tin and I don't know if aq solder gun will work, but I post pictures before and after, as I bet no one has a clue what I am talking about. This plan I have is to draw air directly into the filer nose as the cone is covered by shielding.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2546/4E731D8332414873951DB1D3CA518671.jpg[/IMG]

If you look at the image perhaps my intent is clearer. the cone point down and is surrounded by shield so running the hose from the tip or nose will bring the air directly, and below the filter there is a opening which leads to the air duct for the brakes. so, if I can secure over the open or even drill another opening I would get the air directly to the filter.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Default RE: CAI Addition, I went to Pep Boys

I get it.

It is important to get a cool air source for air induction! That is why I'm not a fan many expensive high-flow cone induction systems.
I wonder if Volant makes a system for the C280?

One other reason I'm not a fan of the cone type is that they can foul the MAF.
When I was considering a CAI for my Focus, Ford Racing told me that K&N had been sued (successfully, I think, maybe not) for their cone type filter because it weeped oil onto the MAF; fouling it. End of story, I purchased a very fine CAI called the Iceman, by Knight Engineering which utilized the stock airbox, high-flow panal filterand smooth, heat reistent ducting.

Personally, I like to keep my stock air box but insert another duct port into the bottom to increase air flow.
Anyone done that?

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:36 PM

Do you have a picture or a website for the CAI you have? Thanks

Old 10-04-2005, 10:36 PM

Didn't mean to say I have a CAI on my C280. I put in a K&N panel filter ; replacing the oem paper one.
However, I did check with Knight Engineering (makers of Iceman) but they don't have an application for MB.

I've seen setups, with cone filters, where the filter is quite a distence away from the MAF. In fact, it looks from your pic you also have the filter quite a distence from the MAF Did you fabricate the ducting yourself or was it a kit? It looks to be in a good spot: just need to get some outside air to it.

I'm not that eager for a CAI right now. I've only had the car 3 mos: I'm disciplining myself to spend money on essentials. Need rear brakes soon then change out ATF.