Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

c320 trunk will not open!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Default c320 trunk will not open!

c320, yr: 2003

Hey fellaz,

I'm in a jam. I tried opening the trunk with the key fob, the trunk release button, as well as the trunk latch itself and I can't open it. I can hear the mechanism try and open but the trunk doesn't release. I made sure the trunk was not "locked" by using the manual key.

I looked through the manual, and the only idea I had was to go through the rear seat. The problem is, the model we have doesn't have the split bench option. I did however manage to see that the rear arm rest reveals a possible way into the trunk. I am wondering if this is possible.

Thank you in advance!

Old 02-12-2006, 06:15 AM
Default RE: c320 trunk will not open!

I had the same problem with my C240. To get in the trunk, I finally realized that there is a key hole hidden on the underside of the trunk latch. My problem was a cheap plastic gear that broke. It sounds very similiar to your problem.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:00 AM

actually, it may be that or your latch may need a little grease b/c it is starting to stick since it isnt lubricated enough. now, if your trunk pops but doesnt raise up and also feels like it weighs about 1000 pounds, then your support springs that raise the trunk up once it is popped, have broken and they're expensive. If some of internals are broken and thats why it wont pop then take it in, if you do manage to get it open then try greasing up the latch.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:30 AM

seitz729 is probably right about the broken gear.

You should be able to open the boot by inserting the key into the boot lock and turning it counter clockwise. While it is in this turned position, operate the release handle which is to the right side of the key hole. This creates a manual link between the handle and the latch. From there, you should be able to remove the inner boot lid covers and confirm seitz729's idea.

It shouldn't need any grease, as these are maintenance free latches. Grease will just make dust and dirt stick to the lock, and maybe even get on your clothes as you reach into the boot.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Thumbs up C320 Trunk Will Not Open

Thanks for the advice Seitz and Dondas. I had the same problem. Could hear the trunk latch trying to open, but nothing doing. Did exactly what you described with the key from the fob and the boot handle, and voila - it opened. Inside the latch? A broken white, plastic part. Appreciate the help! Got me out a big jam.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Exclamation Need help - power lock electrics are down, trunk WILL NOT open

99 C280

My trunk lid just quit when after I performed (again) a hard reset (cold - boot) of the system by pulling the negative battery strap instead of it resetting my window computers (the main issue with my car) it downed the following systems:

1999 C280

Has had intermittent "window inoperative" issues - that always clear up when I remove the negative battery cable for a couple of minutes - they just start working again

Today, during a misty salty Chicago weather pattern - I had to do that again,

NOW MY WINDSHIELD WIPERS, WINDOWS, SUNROOF AND ELECTRIC PORTION OF THE LOCKING SYSTEM ARE INOPERATIVE

AND WORST OF ALL - THE TRUNK IS STUCK SHUT AS THE LOCK ON THIS MODEL IS 100% REMOTE OPERATED, EVEN THE BLADE KEY ONLY OPERATES A SWITCH

Thus, I'm locked out of the trunk and that is where the bulk of the engine/chassis control fuses and the battery are.

Current status is as follows:

Car runs fine
Car starts fine
Voltage at underhood junction point is 13.2
Heater, AC, defrost OK
Windows inoperative
Door locking system inoperative
Sunroof inoperative
Remote control door locking/trunk inoperative

I need HELP

1. How to access trunk if necessary to effect repairs

2. What the hell just happened? Main control computer? (I'm a parts broker so it won't kill me to replace one......or two "black boxes")

HELP HELP HELP CANT DRIVE WITHOUT WIPERS IN CHICAGOLAND IN WINTER

Can anyone direct me to a way to open the trunk without an AXE or a TORCH on this model - the blade key functions but the trunk won't open, the battery is good, I've drained it to nothing btw and recharged using the underhood ports but nothing is working relating to these systems and the TRUNK WILL NOT OPEN

HELP

Old 07-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Default fix for trunk, et al?

Mr Hubertz, we're having a similar trunk problem with our 1999 E320

did you ever get your issue resolved, and if so, how?

we're about to purchase a replacement trunk locking mechanism, but in case the issue is wider than that, we thought we'd hold off

ideas?

much obliged

Patrick Lafferty
Dallas, TX

Old 07-09-2010, 05:49 PM

no there is a solid wall there.