Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C280 uncommon smell and other parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Default C280 uncommon smell and other parts

Greetings everyone,

I have just purchased a '94 C280, black on black leather. The car is a beauty, and I love it. It has 128 k miles. I have a few questions, and would really appreciate anyone's input on this!
First, I smell an uncommon odor (something like Diesel) after I start the engine. I have friends telling that it has to do something with the transmission, while other argued it needs an oil change. What do you guys think?
The car was bought from a deal, and all past service records were not present. I was able to pull up some records on carfax but not some recent ones. Therefore, if it needs an oil and filter change how often I should do the oil and filter change. And also, is there a certain oil and filter (parts #?) I need to buy if I don't go to a dealership.
Also, the centralized locking system would not work (I cannot close all doors at once). Neither the master lock button on the central console is working. I need to lock each one in part. However, if I hold the key in the door longer, the windows are coming up and down. Maybe a fuse is out and needs to be replaced. Anybody knows anything about this? (Where to buy it and how to replace the fuse in the panel if this is the case)
Finally, I want to get a remote and programme it. Would any remote work or I need something specific?

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Stefan

Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 AM
Default RE: C280 uncommon smell and other parts

first things first the car should go to a mb dealer for inspection it'll be 1hr charge but they look over the entire car tell you whats wrong and needs to be repaired . the oil changes on a 1994 was 7500 mi schedule interval trans fluid replacement every 30k with filter basically your on a 15k/30k service sched.
the ddealer should have a pre-printed list of what gets done and for how much. now for the locking issue remove the rear seat bottom located rt side(pass ) youll see black/white box with color vacc line plugged into it surrounded by looks like a big sponge (called a central locking pump ) see if the sponge feels wet yes wet !!! if it does its $$$ . unplug the wire connector wait 5 sec. reconnect the pump should be felt running and heard buzzing try locking the door via key from driverside door WITH THE WINDOW DOWN !!(PRECAUTION)SEEE IF THE LOCK LOCK NOW ALL THE DOOR SHOULD BE CLOSED IF NOT CHECK THE FUSES FOR CENTRAL LOCKING ,SEATS ALL OF THEM TO BE SURE I would start there first