Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C230 Poor quality issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 10:59 PM
Default C230 Poor quality issue

My 97 C230 have had a bunch of problems after it gets 85000 miles. such as tire rods worn out, crankshaft front seal leaks, oil pan gasket leaks, rear axle gear box leaks, antenna mast stop working, noise from HVAC, water pump bearing noise, door panel rusted from inside out etc. I am wondering if anyone has the similar experience about Mercedes poor quality issue, or I am just unlucky bought a car that was built on Monday?

Old 05-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Default RE: C230 Poor quality issue

Quite a lot of problems. Have you followed the maintenance program? Also, are you a hard driver? If Yes and no are the answers. Cars are machines, some last longer then others, no matter who builds them. With all you have wrong, I would look for a newer car, by the time you pay for all the repairs, you could probably take the $$ it cost and put in down on a newer car?

Old 05-09-2005, 06:07 PM

The only reason I bought my 99 C280 was that I wanted a rear-wheel drive import car in its class. 3.2TL-S and Millenia-S were my considerations, but I did not buy them because they are not RWD.

Now...I have all kinds of electrical problems as I expected from a German car.

(1) My power seats move only when they deem fit. Replaced the relay already - no use.
(2) Auto-wiper feature keeps running the wiper even when windshield is squeaky clean and crystal clear.
(3) Fuel gauge sometimes points to empty upon startup. If I turn the key off and turn it back on, the gauge tells the truth again.
(4) Stereo keeps saying "Empty Magazine" thought it's not. I am on a new 2nd changer already - problem still exists.
(5) Randomly, the sunroof won't shut just like the power seat failure. Not a mechanical or switch problem. It's more than that.

All of these problems are very irritating. Luckily I do not have mechanical problems.

I WOULD NOT HAVE THESE PROBLEMS HAD I BOUGHT A '99 TL-S OR MILLENIA-S.

So MB, this is my last Benz. My next car will be TL, ES,....or if I can afford it would be a GS or an LS.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:36 AM

I have a 99 C280, bought it Starmarked over 3 years ago. To date I have had two warranty issues with the car. 1 MAS, 1 O2 sensor, other then normal maintenance the car has been wonderfully reliable, The only "complaint I have is the smart start function sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, that is I have to hold the smart key until the engine starts, your supposed to turn the key to the start position and turn it to start and let it go and the engine starts, no holding the key until the engine is running. My friend bought a 04 Acura RL and the first 3 months of ownership it was back in the shop for various mechanical problems at least twice a month. What does this mean? Nothing really, somedays the bear gets you and somedays you get the bear.

I'm feel for your situation, my previous drive was a BMW 3 series and had a lot of the problems your Benz is having. Perhaps Germany has the Monday, Friday and Wednesday problems at their factories?