Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C220 Keep it or Lose it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Default C220 Keep it or Lose it?

Hello,

I recently inherited a 1995 C220 with 179,000 miles on it. I am not mechanically inclined at all. Can't even change my own oil. So, I don't want to dump a ton of money into this car.

So, should I keep this car? Will it go many more miles for me without many headaches?

Or, should I sell it for what I can and look for something newer?

thanks,

paul

P.S. The car seems to be in great shape, and I know the previous owner was fanatical about maintenance. Still, 179,000 miles seems like a lot.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: C220 Keep it or Lose it?

keep it till you feel it's time to get rid of it.

since it was given to you... better put it in good shape and be glad.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:37 AM

One thing to remember is New does NOT always mean better.

A friend of mine bought a brand new Mazda Pickup Truck, then stops by my house one day and asks me if I could listen to the engine for him because he thought he heard a slight knocking noise coming from the engine compartment. I took my stethoscope to it and told him that it sounded like a rod knock to me. Then I told him to get it into the dealer to have them check it out and sure enough it was a rod knocking.

This truck had LESS THAN 10,000 MILES on it !

Of course the only benefit of it being new was, the new engine was covered under warranty.

If the owner of the C220 was as you say "fanatical about maintenance" then you should be good to go.

Just make sure you keep synthetic oil in it and it should go for a while.

The only thing you may want to have looked at around the 200k mile mark is the timing chain. It's pretty much the weakest link (no pun intended) in the system and can stretch when they reach high miles.

Hope this helps !

By the way ....... have you ever owned a Benz before ??

Old 07-14-2005, 12:57 PM

The previous owner was my father in law, so I know all the maintenance records. As I said, the car seems fine, I've just never owned a car that went over 100,000 miles and it scares me to death.

And no, I have never owned a Mercedes before.

paul

Old 07-14-2005, 11:32 PM

that is quite high k's
and everything does wear out when its getting up that high.
if its a nice condition car and you got it for next to nothing just keep it and if anything major goes u could probebly get a local mechanic to chuck in a second hand engine or something

Old 07-15-2005, 12:09 AM

I just purchased an MB with 77K on it. I plan on driving it at least untill 150K.
Yes, it is a risk. Also, when something does break, it can be expensive to repair.
However, my car feels as solid as a tank. Nothing like the American car I sold with 28K ( well, will sell)
My C280 Sport has no anoying buzzes or rattles. To me, no part of of the car performs like a "used car" Steering is tight. Engine is impressively smooth and quiet. Transmission is sliky smooth and quiet. Besides, I love to drive it, which is the proverbial bottom line.

I agree with the others. If it was free and is in running condition, then drive it and maintain it. If it doesn't grab you after so many miles, then sell it.
Life is too short to be driving around in car you don't like, unless you have to for a while.[sm=gears.gif]

Old 07-15-2005, 01:07 AM

After you cruise a Benz for while you'll find it a lot harder to get back into a "regular" car. Plus it rolls off the tongue nicely

You'll soon start comparing everything to the way the Benz rode, etc.. etc..

I tell you.... I've have had a few in the past and I currently own a few now.... After the first one, I was hooked.

Now... if anyone comes in with anything but a Benz for me to fix, I cringe. I don't even like sitting in other cars ..... they feel cheap in every detail.

The Germans have some good ideas when it comes to their cars.
ie.. if you look at the way your hood opens up. There's an extra little button on the hood hinge you pull out and the hood goes straight up and down completely out of your way. Also like the built-in fog headlights and fog tail light found on many models.

Anyway my friend... I personally would drive until you feel it's not what you are in to, then sell it and buy the Benz of your dreams... LOL or not !

Cheers,

Old 07-15-2005, 03:40 AM

The CONs:

Something will break over time.

MB parts are more expensive than domestiv vehicles.

MB malfunctions should only be performed with STAR diagnosis, which is expensive.

The PRO's

You will like your car.

You should ALWAYS write into this forum before taking your car anywhere.

You MUST drive it frequently, any machine at rest for too long will have more malfunctions.

Enjoy!