Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C200 Kompressor Transmission Probs

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 06:30 AM
Default C200 Kompressor Transmission Probs

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=black size=3><FONT size=2>

I am new to the Mercedes Forum, live in Australia and wanted to join hoping to get some feedback from other Mercedes owners.</P>

I bought my First Mercedes - a new C200 Kompressor about eight months ago. I have driven many friends Mercs for many years.</P>

The reason for my concern is that I have a problem with my Automatic transmission that the dealer tells me is normal for a Mercedes transmission.</P>

When I accelarate with the intention to kick down to a lower gear, sometimes the change will be fairly smooth but at other times (and with increasing frequency) the change down is quite abnormal. When the accelerator is pressed fairly hard the engine will rev quite high and after some lag time the lower gear will engage making it a very jerky change. Not knowing a lot about auto gear boxes I can't counter argue with the service department of the dealer with any basic knowledge. Hence the plea for help.</P>

I have read a little about "vacuum modulators" and this seems as though it could be a possible culprit. Do they leak or malfunction spasmodically? Or does someone think it may be another problem altogether. The transmission is "Adaptive" and this problem seemed to show itself after about the first 3000 kms of driving.</P>

I would appreciate any suggestions on this matter. I have enjoyed reading some of the archives - I didn't realize there are so many Mercophiles out there.</P>

Colyn Pavey</P></FONT></FONT>

Old 01-31-2004, 07:55 AM

My car and other mercedes i've driven are like that too. Sometimes the transmission doesn't respond right away with a kickdown. There is like a half second gap in between. Also there is a "button" that needs to be pressed by the gas pedal when donig akickdown sothe transmissionwill downshift to the lowest gear allowed. </P>

Old 02-07-2004, 01:12 AM

that's quite normal Colyn. Mercedes adaptive transmissions can do just that, adapt to different conditions and drivers. Pretty smart for a tranny!! Anyhow a lot of what your feeling depends on several variables, transmission fluid temp. what the adaptive program is set to, acceleration, outside air temp. etc. etc. As you can see there are many things that can and will effect the way the transmission feels and operates. Just keep it to the floor and have fun!!!!!