Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Batteries for Remote...and how to change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Default Batteries for Remote...and how to change?

I just recently purchased a C230 Kompressor Coupe...The batteries in both remotes aren't too great, and I have to be really close to the car to open it up. What type of batteries do I purchase for this remote? And how do I go about changing them?

I would appriciate it if someone could get back to me ASAP!!

Old 05-15-2006, 01:19 AM
Default RE: Batteries for Remote...and how to change?

I'm not sure if yours is the same as my 2000 Kompressor, but if it is you remove the mechanical key from the side and insert it horizontally into the top of the key case (where the mechanical key is stored) to release the latch, slide the back off of the key.

You probably will not get much if any more range from your remote, MB seems to have a 3' or less range. Mine uses a CR2025 but I usually just open it at the store to make sure I buy the correct one.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2006, 01:55 AM

I agree. My 02 coupe also uses TWO CR2025 batteries in the remote. Remove the mechanical key using the tab.
Push the end of the mechanical key gently into the opening (at right angles to its normal position.
The entire end of the plastic holder will slide out when it disengages. Don't pry or pull with a lot of force because the plastic pins inside will break and then you're cooked.
I get at least 25 feet when the batteries are new.
Good luck.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:46 PM

Gilgorm is right on with battery replacement. The MB remotes are not designed to work from a great distance. I guess the engineer's thought it is safer to be closer to the car if you have to get into it quickly? When I close the windows on my 99 C280 I have to stand next to the car so the windows with open or shut. To unlock at 10' is the furthest.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:57 AM

I have noticed the distance is very short. I wonder why? My Chevy Z-71 would work from 60-70 feet. I am not sure why MB does this, but I would love to know. At first I thought mine was on the way to quitting because it would only work from about 15 feet.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: fay3131

I have noticed the distance is very short. I wonder why? My Chevy Z-71 would work from 60-70 feet. I am not sure why MB does this, but I would love to know. At first I thought mine was on the way to quitting because it would only work from about 15 feet.
maybe just for safety reason.

in fact MB can do it even if you are half kilometer away... as they do in stationary heater.

if your car is parked downstairs less than 100 feet away, and you accidentally push the remote key... the MB legal department will get some headache.

as you see, even in keyless-go, the range is just 2 feet. this will also avoid somebody starting the car before you do.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:58 AM

Do new MB have a remote start function now? My 99 doesn't which is Ok with me. One thing I do like, is the push button start more and more higher end cars are installing. Now that is something I would investigate to see if the function could be retro fitted. Sleepwalker any idea if this could be done on my 99 C280? I had a old Porsche with pushbutton start. An early 356, I picked up in 63 or 64. The owner, had blown the engine and replaced it with a VW engine. Which the 356 had, but tuned and carb quite differently. He also painted the car with a brush, Yellow, no less. I paid the guy $300 for the car, as he got drafted. Ran well, and unless you got right on top of the car you couldn't see the brush marks. Sidebar, the person went to Nam and came back in a body bag I heard a few years later.

I turned around in 67 and sold it for $500. I drove the car, only when I felt like driving a brush painted yellow, VW powered 356. My daily was an Austin Healy Sprite I think? Long time ago I forget what I was using everyday. I also got drafted and went to Nam, but I was very lucky and came back alive and in one piece.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Sleepwalker any idea if this could be done on my 99 C280?
very difficult.
the steering lock is done by motor.
the switch is electronic.
if your car got transponder, then a little easier since we can use that as key slot. it will authorise the starting.

MB got no remote starter yet. just for the stationary heater to warm up the car before you get in.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:23 PM

Oh well I guess I'll have to find a car with a push button starter? Thanks for the information. Mercedes doesn't make things eashy/

I have a leaking chain tensioner on my M117 engine in the 79 450SLC. Took the car to a couple of different shops that specialize in Mercedes, All different opinions. A local dealer said it has to be replaced tot the tune of $350 plus labor, two shops said it is leaking from the large nut that holds the presure release, could try tightening the nut as it is leaking from the tread area and the nut is back out about half way. But most of the oil will have to be drained to relieve pressure on the tensioner. The shop manual is not very specific. Just outlines removal, testing and reinstall. Doesn't mention if the tensioner goes bad or not. Only 2 pages on what I am finding is a very important part as it keeps the cam chains at the proper tension from the pressure the oil builds up inside the tensioner and if the pressure is too high it expels the extra oil thru the tip.

Any ideas?

Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 PM

I was at the dealership to-day and asked my service advisor why the remotes seem to work at different distances. He says there are two signals sent from the remotes. ONE signal uses a car mounted antennae located inside the car to receive the signal. If this fails for any reason the long distance capability disappears. Apparently a lot of these antennnae fail or stop working. The SECOND signal uses an infra-red feature which only works when you are very close to the door sensors. It sounded reasonable to me. Hope this answers any remote/signal questions.

ORIGINAL: fay3131